1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe / Macromedia Flash Cookies - how to block

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Telegraph Sam, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Telegraph Sam

Telegraph Sam Thread Starter

I have read that Flash cookies can potentially be a security threat more than standard cookies. I cannot work out from Adobe's help files how to disable Flash cookies in my browser IE 8 as appears to be possible. Ditto Opera.

I don't think Flash itself is currently installed on my PC. Is there an easy way to "toggle" it on and off depending on whether one is in the mood for animations or not?

2. perfume

perfume Banned

3. Telegraph Sam

Hi Perfume!

Many tks for the very useful article, I am studying it. But to do what the man says on the Adobe Settings Manager screen do you have to have Adobe installed on your PC in the first place, or does it somehow work if you visit their website "anonymously"?

That was why I was wondering if you could toggle Adobe Flash on and off at will somehow.

I use CCleaner (without the extra toolbar) but I was uncertain if this (and for example Windows Disk Cleanup) were effective against Flash cookies as well as the usual breed.

4. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Tele. Sam,
    If you don't have the flash player installed and even if you visited their site anonymously, you can't get those Flash cookies or LSOs! Why not install? You'll be missing a lot of action in real-time. I am advising you because there is so much protection out there to tackle Flash-cookies. My sincere suggestion is forget IE, and try Firefox and add the excellent Add-on in it called "Better Privacy" which is like a stealth bomber against these LCOs!

Attached Files:

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    T S:

Adobe Flash Player(activeX and/or plugin versions) and Sun Java Runtime Environment are both required in your computer in order to properly view all the multimedia and animation content of websites. You want to keep the latest versions installed because they usually address any security-related issues that arise.

Adobe Reader(or one of the other PDF readers, such as Foxit Reader) is required so you can view and read PDF documents. Many on-line user guides and manuals are in PDF format.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Telegraph Sam

Hi Flavallee

I believe I uninstalled Adobe (Quickreader?) some back because it seemed to make my PC boot times even longer by the time it had got itself sorted out - and I can happily view the majority if not all websites quite happily without the animated gizmos. I believe I have Sun "Java" updated but frankly I am out of my depth in the whole Sun environment, ActiveX's and so on, so I don't know what the true position is. There are quite a collection of boxes in IE Options which seem to be relevant and I was tossing a coin which to opt for.

When I uninstalled Adobe I simultaneously installed Foxit and have had no cause since then to regret it as far as reading PDF's is concerned.

7. TOGG

TOGG

I believe that you wouldn't be able to see, or adjust the Settings Manager, if you didn't have the Adobe Flash plugin installed.

If you believe that the the Adobe 'cookies' present a serious problem, there appear to be three ways to try and deal with them;

1. Try changing things in the Settings Manager. I've done that to deny permission for just about everything and to set zero size limits. It seems to me that the settings may not always 'stick' and it would not be so unusual if they were reset to default with each Flash upgrade.

2. Track down the settings in your browsers which enable you to stop Flash content. Assuming that is possible, you might expect to have problems with sites that must use Flash to display properly. Obviously, if you use Firefox with the NoScript addon, Flash (and JavaScript, Sun Java and lots of other stuff) will be blocked by default and you would have the option whether to allow it to run on a case by case basis

3. Try something like FlushFlash; http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22909209-Free-Flush-Flash-eradicate-those-nasty-flash-cookies I have used this on XP Home without any problems but I obviously can't prove that it actually works as claimed. Note that some Quicken users seem to have had problems after using FlushFlash.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Tools - Internet Options settings that I use with IE8:

General(tab):

Browsing history - Settings - Every time I visit a webpage - Disk space 50 MB

Security(tab):

Set all 4 zones to Default level

Privacy(tab):

Advanced - Override automatic cookie handling - Accept first party cookies - Block third party cookies - Always allow session cookies

Content(tab):

AutoComplete - Settings - Uncheck all boxes

Connections(tab):

LAN settings - Uncheck all boxes(unless your ISP requires a proxy server setting)

Programs(tab):

That's your choice

Advanced(tab):

Multimedia - Check all boxes

(After you finish making any changes, click Apply - OK)

---------------------------------------------------

9. Telegraph Sam

Thanks I will work through each of the points of advice in turn.

In the interim I have realised that again some time back I installed, and have updated, "Spywareblaster" (which in turn I think is a son of Sun) and this has a Flash Killer Blocker as one of the options. If it does what it says on tin there should be nothing to worry about - but sometimes belt and braces is adviseable .. It would be interesting to know of anyone's experience with this and how you judge the effectiveness.

10. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I know the OP was asking about flash control with IE but for all you Firefox uasers out there reading this thread and wondering if there is a way to control flash cookies and LSO's ... there is an add on that I have added to my must haves along with noScript and Adblock plus ... BetterPrivacy

11. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear DarqueMist,
    Did i not mention "BetterPrivacy" in my second post?:rolleyes:

12. golferbob

golferbob

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice