1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe PDF

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Schools, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Schools

Schools Thread Starter

Dear Reader: I am having a hard time understanding the movement toward PDF documents. Even the new Word brags about being able to transfer seamlessly between .doc and pdf. Do i need new software? Example. Was reading a manual for a Sony camera, tried to download it, it just look at me... Thanks. Schools

2. sliderule

sliderule

School, you will need the Adobe Acrobat software to create PDF files. Hewlett-Packard is currently offering an online course (free) entitled "Creating PDFs with Adobe Acrobat."

The following is a copy of part of their first lesson which was posted Jan. 19, 2006 and which should answer the rest of your question:

Adobe's PDF (Portable Document Format) is a powerful standard for sharing and distributing documents in today's wired world. Documents saved in the PDF format retain all of their design and layout elements including fonts, color, and images in a file format that anyone can view on any computer with the free Acrobat Reader installed. You can create documents in just about any application running on any platform and convert them to PDFs. This means you can turn documents you create in PageMaker, Microsoft Word, Quark Express, or any other proprietary application into a common format that users can access even if they don't have the application you used to create the file installed on their system. Better yet, PDFs are well suited for both online and print distribution.

I first used PDFs when I developed a virtual pressroom for a company. We wanted to make all of the company's press releases and news items available in quick and dirty HTML, as well as the more elegant and refined PDF. The PDF format let us retain the prestige of using company letterhead and other graphical materials online. We were able to reprint magazine articles in their original format. Users could download and print all of our press materials in the original format. When we were done, the virtual pressroom became a very real press kit.

PDF technology helps optimize document quality while attempting to reduce document size, ensuring PDF files stay truly portable. You can e-mail PDFs or make them available for download on your Web site. In addition, recent PDF innovations allow you to add interactive features, such as forms users can fill in, and other useful extras to the PDFs you create.

Alternately, PDFs can retain all of the details of a four-color document that you plan to have professionally printed. In fact, PDF has become the standard format for delivering electronic documents to print shops and service bureaus for printing.

3. Schools

Schools Thread Starter

Dear Slidrule, thank u very much for the quick, quick reply. Will go to the site u mentioned and sign up and hopefully i'll find out how to enter data in a form the LLBean provides and download it as they say i can.

Wonder if theirs something wrong on my end (of course i never make a mistake, yea right). PDF's and i don't seem to get along. The sony manual i was reading off the net wouldn't save or print for me.

Adobe reader won't let me type in PDF. I read why i should but it seems contradictory. One place it says one can't alter the text. Another text says it can be shared and edited with others.

Probably doesn't matter to me as i'm retired and don't need that kind of sophistication any more. I do have a buddy in Mi still in the pr world. I'll ship him a copy of ur comments.

Thanks again

Schools

4. sliderule

sliderule

Schools, there is a great deal of misinterpretation of the Adobe software titles. ADOBE READER is the free software that is widely offered and it is only useful in opening and viewing PDF files. ADOBE ACROBAT is the expensive software used to create PDF files.

You should be able to view and fill in the LL Bean online forms but if you have only ADOBE READER you won't be able to save the completed form to your hard drive - all you'll end up with is the blank form. That's why most such sites recommend printing the form after you completed it in order to have a copy for your files.

Good Luck

5. sliderule

sliderule

Oh, as to your inability to download and save the Sony camera manual, you didn't describe the problem with sufficient detail for me to prescribe a cure. I'm forever saving such manuals and all sorts of PDF files from web sites and rarely have a problem. Generally all you need do with an online PDF file is click on the icon that resembles a floppy disk and follow the bread crumbs.

6. Schools

Schools Thread Starter

Many thanks for all ur help. I actually used to use a Sliderule when i started at the univ of del. in 1962. Started using one when i was bout 12 at summer camp. It was like magic to them. Think the thing was a"SK"?

Went to the HP site but couldn't find the lessons. Went to Amazon. Lots of books. As i read the titles recon i don't need the expensive version. Word works fine. Lately using "works". Much simpler than Office and i no longer need the elegance of Office.

Schools

I have a new thread in here somewhere regarding trying to get an ole computer going again. Have some replys but haven't looked at them yet.

7. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

This is generally true, but not always. If a form was created as "fillable PDF," you can open it in Reader, fill in the blanks, and save the filled-in form.

8. Schools

Schools Thread Starter

Dear md2lgyk: thanks for the additional comment. I think i'm starting to understand ur qualification. However, i still can't figure why a non commercial person would need it? Oh well, i'll just keep fighting with it whenever i run across it. I'm going back to LLBean and see if i might have made a mistake -- although it would be first one ever...

Schools

9. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

You're quite welcome. I don't personally think the average person needs the full Acrobat program. I do have it, but also have a much easier-to-use free program I use instead to create PDF documents. It won't do the "fillable" type but I don't need that feature anyway.

In my work I access lots of PDF documents on the internet and have never had your problem of being unable to download or save one.

I'm probably just a couple of years youngher than you so I also remember using a slide rule in college. I even still have one stuck away somewhere.

10. Schools

Schools Thread Starter

I have a few more than one. Pistols too. One 9mm beretta with a nice laser sight. Think i read somewhere lately that there is now one gun for every American. All in the hands of half of us.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice