1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe Photoshop CS2 Memory Error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by joule, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joule

joule Thread Starter

Hello. First time posting here. Well, I have a problem. You see, I just got Adobe PS CS2 and it's acting very slow. I don't know why. I've searched Google in hope for a solution, but can't seem to find one. I've changed my Virtual Memory Size, updated to 9.0.1, lowered and raised my memory usage in PS under Preferences, and even closed out all programs while using PS. But still it's very slow.

The error I receive is something along the lines of 'Could not perform yadayadayada, not enough RAM.'

Please help a guy out. Thanks.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    2GB Corsair RAM (PC-3200)
    2x nVIDIA eVGA 7800GT's

2. redivivus

redivivus

Does it actually run (ie. you open a file), or do you get this Memory error after opening the program?

3. joule

joule Thread Starter

It actually runs. Opens and all. Just when I start using it, e.g. filling in a circle or using a filter, that's when I receive the error.

4. redivivus

redivivus

Welcome to the forums joule.

Never experienced this and i only have 500MB of RAM. :eek: Even using EC4000.

Do you have tons of programs running on your PC at the same time as PS CS, or maybe spyware or the likes slowing you down?

Maybe someone else will know. (y)

5. joule

joule Thread Starter

The only programs I have running are in the system tray. AIM, MSN, Xfire, and Steam. And maybe a Firefox window open. That's it, really.

I'll run another spyware/virus scan for good measure.

6. lister

lister

Have you checked the RAM in system properties? You could have a bad RAM card. How much RAM is photoshop seeing? The default of 55% is recommended.

A few things to try

Try reducing the cache levels to 3 or 4.

Keep the info palette closed.

Turn of Hardware acceleration - video card.

Of course, if you are working on a new image, make sure that you haven't accidentally made the dimensions/resolution huge!

7. joule

joule Thread Starter

RAM is fine. I've had it for about a year now. Windows recognizes it and I am able to run most of the latest games at top quality.

It's at 55% now. I've slid it down to 20% and raised it up to 90%, still no change.

I've reduced the cache levels to 2 and 3, but still no difference.

Where is the info palette?

I'm working with a rather small image. 400x400. I can't even fill in a friggin circle without it freezing up.

8. joule

joule Thread Starter

Nevermind, guys. I figured out the issue. You won't believe it. I had it set at 400x400 inches, instead of pixels. :p

9. lister

lister

I don't want to say "I told you so", but . . . :p

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice