1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adobe photoshop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Leigh PARK, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leigh PARK

Leigh PARK Thread Starter

something's wrong with photoshop. it keeps freezing everytime i go to open it, and then my computer won't restart and it becomes a big disaster. i'd think it was some kind of adware or something making my computer run slower, but it's only photoshop that won't respond. since it's never done this before, i'm kind of worried. i rely a lot on adobe. does anyone know what could be causing this?

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

have you tried a reinstall

buck

3. Akito

Akito

Some questions:

How much ram do you have? Do you have plenty of free disk space? What version of photoshop are you running?

Make sure if you uninstall the program you delete any remaining files in the c:\progam files\adobe\photoshop (or whever you installed it) - sometimes the prefs file becomes corrupt and causes photoshop to act up (as per my understanding)..

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What have you recently changed/installed? Have you run Ad-aware and your updated AV program? Have you tried System Restore?

5. nat picone

nat picone

6. southernlady

southernlady

Okay, I'm joining this thread cause mine did the same thing.

Yes, I've run AdAware, run Spybot, did a HiJack Log. I'm clean.

I've uninstall it Photoshop and and I did those things. So I know I'm clean, then I reinstalled it. I had it running on my D: drive with plenty of space. I have plenty of memory. None of my other programs give me the fits that this one did. I've used PhotoSuite without any problems. No, I didn't have PhotoSuite on there at the time. I installed it later after I FINALLY got the .psd files switched over to .bmp so that PhotoSuite could read them. Then I uninstalled Photoshop for the last time and installed PhotoSuite in it's place.

The reason I didn't have PhotoSuite on there is that Roxio and I were having issues with the burning part of the software. So I was using Nero. I went in and just installed the PhotoSuite part of the disk and things are fine. I'm still using Nero for my burner. Roxio thinks I have a SCSI burner and I don't.

If anyone has any other suggestion as to why PhotoShop would act so screwy, I'm willing to give it another try. It does have features that PhotoSuite doesn't have. Liz

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Try installing it on your C: drive.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Hold down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys and start PS while still holding the keys pressed. This will clear the preferences if the file is corrupt.

9. southernlady

southernlady

MysticEyes, I had the same problem when it was installed on the C:drive...that didn't have anything to do with it.

Rockn, I'll give that a try...it can't hurt cause I sure would like to use it. But I want to finish downsizing the bmp's I have first. Once I do that, I'll reinstall PhotoShop and give that a try and let you know if it worked. Thanks. Liz

10. Soiled

Soiled

a freind of mine has been having the lock up problems with his PS7 for a while now..

and that little trick worked for him..... so he thanx you Rockn!

:)

11. Rockn

Rockn

That little tidbit will clear up 99% of all PS problems.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/249151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice