Adobe Premiere Pro user - PC for faster export?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

adamgoodwin98

Hi there,

I have just started making YouTube videos and using Premiere Pro to edit them. I currently have a Microsoft Surface Book Pro 2, which has taken around 9 hours to export a file size of around 7250MB. I wondered whether it would be worth getting a cheap desktop PC (under £200) to edit and export these videos quicker, or whether it would be around the same exportation speed as my current laptop. I understand that my laptop is of a higher quality, but didn't know whether a lower quality and cheaper PC would still export this faster.

Any help appreciated,

Adam

You need to know several things.

1) laptops are always slower than desktops because putting in a fast cpu into a laptop will generate a lot more Heat that a laptop cannot get rid of. Desktops can have several fans, and maybe even water cooling.

2) desktop cpus with more cpu cores are cheaper. More bang for the buck.

3) Desktop motherboards support overclocking, so that you can run the cpu at higher than default speeds. Again more bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Couriant

James
7GB of data, on a tablet. I suspect the Surface Pro is not that powerful. It is CPU instensive (well on all hardware) so really you need a decent machine with speed, video, and 16GB memory.

Plus I guess it will depend on how you are rendering and how long it is too.

adamgoodwin98

@lunarlander @Couriant Thanks for your responses! What would be the key things to look for when looking at used PC’s for under £200 if I’m predominantly using it for Premiere Pro editing and exporting? At least 16GB of memory is one thing, I’ve gathered...

The more CPU cores, the better. Copy and paste the CPU model into Google and see what cpubenchmark.net gives it with their benchmark score.

If you can up the price a bit and include a GPU, the new Premiere can use GPU's power to cut down processing time.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online