1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe Reader 7.0.msi H E L P ! :-O

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gary970, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gary970

gary970 Thread Starter

Hi All
    Whenever I have tried in vain at the "official" sites for weeks (Adobe Support in this case), you all have ended up solving my problem in about an hour. I will squeal like a little girl and do a one-man wave to anyone that can fix THIS one. ;)

I keep getting the ADOBE DOWNLOAD MANAGER popup telling me that UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE. When I attempt to download them, I get the Error 1714 "The older version of Reader 7.0.9 cannot be removed" (which is strange, because I'm USING 7.0.5).

This is due to the fact that there is NO Adobe Reader 7.0.msi in the source file OR ANYWHERE ELSE on my computer. Adobe Support tells me to un-install all versions of Reader and install the update again. BUT.....I can't un-install because it tells me I need Adobe Reader 7.0.msi to get rid of the older versions. So, I can't install OR un-install anything without the stupid .msi file.:eek:

I even looked for the entry in REGEDIT that it told me to delete...and I don't have that EITHER.

Meanwhile, my version of AR 7.0.5 works just fine, but I'm sick of the ADOBE DOWNLOAD MANAGER popping up 5xday.

So, I am asking two things....where do I get Adobe Reader 7.0.msi? OR...how do I disable that @%$# DOWNLOAD MANAGER that wants to install updates?

I am using XP Home SP1 with an Intel Celeron 2.70 GHz Processor and 504MB RAM.
    I use Spybot, Adaware, CC Cleaner, Window Washer...and do frequent virus checks with Norton. All show my system to be clean of bad stuff.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Gary/Tampa

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

try uninstalling completly re boot then install the new snazzy adobe reader 8 as it has been brought out as numerous security flaws with your one , i had same issue all resolved and ok now

3. gary970

gary970 Thread Starter

Hi Daz1...thanks for the reply. One of the problems is I CAN'T UNINSTALL the program (any version) without the file 'Adobe Reader 7.0.msi'.

4. buf

buf

5. apr911

apr911

Try running the installer for your version of reader again. Usually when it detects it is already installed it offers you to add features, uninstall or repair your current version. Even if it doesn't, reinstalling the same reader version into the same directory as your existing reader should replace the files and registry entries with the same files, thereby fixing your missing .msi file issue

6. jdl

jdl

7. lllorita

lllorita

No matter what I've tried, including all suggested fixes in Tech Note (Adobe) #320310:
    Feature u r trying 2 use is on network res. that's unavailable....
    Error 1714
    Cannot find path.....

Won't let me install or uninstall because it cannot find path, etc. Download attempted of older Version came up same way (per TechForum #6).

XP Home Ed.
    Emachine T6528
    Firefox
    Trendo Micro Security Suite
    Java (recent)

Anything else I can try before I have XP dumped & reloaded?
    TYVM/lllorita

8. glitch177k

glitch177k

Ok, I had this same problem and here's my solution.

Step 1: Figure out your exact version which it should tell you in the error that pops up (7.0, 7.0.5, etc)
    Step 2: Find an install for that EXACT same version.
    Step 3: Execute the install on a machine that does not already have adobe on it.
    Step 4: Upon completion of the install, navigate to the program files folder under adobe and find the needed msi.
    Step 5: Copy the entire contents of this folder that contains the msi to the machine with the problem (entire contents may not be necessary, I just did this to save time just in case).
    Step 6: Point the uninstall/install to the newly copied files and presto, you're fixed.

9. TOGG

TOGG

10. glitch177k

glitch177k

Yes, I know it is possible that the original poster has already figured this out, but my company encountered this issue today and came across this thread. We found a solution and figured many others out there may experience a similar issue. So rather than make them figure it out on their own, we just posted the solution here.

Thanks for posting yours too...now they will have options when it comes to fixing this issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice