1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe Reader 9.0 Hung App - won't close

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Carol1958, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carol1958

Carol1958 Thread Starter

Advice on how to correct this recurrent problem is much appreciated :)

Adobe Reader 9.0 returns HungApp errors daily - both with my Brokerage Account and with simple .pdf's. The problem occurs when I attemp to close either - it takes forever - usually I have to go to the Task Manager to close Not Responding. Sometimes it takes over the entire computer and I simply have to unplug it as everything goes to non-responding (mouse, keyboard, and even the power off button).

I have uninstalled/reinstalled my Brokerage app and Adobe Reader 9.0 - twice - to no avail. I have two computers and it happens on both of them, so I tend to think it is not the box, but something in Adobe.

Computer 1: Dell Dimension 8400 (P4), 3.4GHz Dual Core, 1 GB RAM; WinXP-Pro, v2002, SP2, 2 monitors.

Computer 2: AMD 64x2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21, 2.0GB RAM; WinXP-Pro x64, v2003, SP2, 6 monitors.

This is what the Error Messages say:
    Adobe Reader 9.0
    Error Signature
    szAppName: AcroRd32.exe szAppVer: 9.0.0.332 szModName: hungapp
    sz ModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000

Files:
    C:\DOCUME~ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6eab.dir00\AcroRd32.exe.mdmp
    C:\DOCUME~ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6eab.dir00\appcompat.txt

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Carol

2. draceplace

draceplace

Have you run updates for adobe. Also look in Add/Remove programs for old versions of Reader.

3. Carol1958

Carol1958 Thread Starter

draceplace,
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I removed 2 old versions of Adobe Reader when I uninstalled and then reinstalled AR 9.0 the first time. And, then, when the problem persisted, I uninstalled / reinstalled AR 9.0 a second time.

Yes, I have all the latest Adobe Reader Updates.

Any other thoughts? Thanks very much for your help.
    Carol

4. draceplace

draceplace

Have all the installs been from the same download? You might download it again and see if you had a 'dirty' install package. Another option is to install a previous version.

Also are you opening the pdfs from Outlook? If so you may want to save them somewhere before opening and see if that improves you situation.

I've heard (not seen) that corrupt temp files can cause AR to misbehave. These are acr*.tmp . Wouldn't hurt to delete all those.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice