1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe Reader for Windows 7 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RobR, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobR

RobR Thread Starter

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone found out how to run adobe reader on windows 7 64bit?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Some people might actually want to use the software they're asking for help with.

Adobe Reader works just fine on Windows 7 64-bit. Can you describe the problem your having in more detail?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Why don't you let the OP decide that?
    Or are you the decider on these forums, geez!

5. Hughv

Hughv

Adobe's vulnerabilities are well known and are predicted to get worse.
    "Adobe Systems took its share of security hits in 2009. It changed its update schedule and took steps to improve application development, but still ended the year with a prediction from McAfee that the number of attacks against Adobe products would surpass those against Microsoft Office. "
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Adobe-Eyes-Security-in-2010-as-Attackers-Circle-447781/

Foxit is a wise choice for the moment.

6. antech

antech Banned

But it can be somewhat important to people like the poster and someone like my dad.
    He always uses Adobe Reader and dosent even takes a glance at Foxit Reader.
    BTW,Foxit is the best lightweight solution at this time .
    RobR,
    Have you downloaded the x64 version for adobe reader?
    It will auto detect the correct version of windows.
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What 64-bit version are you talking about, antech? I don't see a version on Adobe's site, and I certainly didn't install one.

8. antech

antech Banned

9. RobR

RobR Thread Starter

I just can`t find a version to download! for my windows 7 64bit system. When i go to adobe.com and there is one there that saids 64bitversion but when i try to install i get a compatibility error?

thanks

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    As far as I know there is no 64 bit version. I am using version 9.3.1 on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Can you post a link to the site where you are trying to download this 64 bit version?

11. Hughv

Hughv

When you download and install Foxit, your troubles will be over.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There is no 64-bit version of Adobe Reader. antech just linked to a discussion about what version to install on a 64-bit operating system, and the main download page detects your version of Windows and offers the appropriate version which is the same for both a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Windows.

13. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The favourable comments regarding Foxit are true. It is slicker, by far. Ditto applies to the full version, against the Adobe full version.. But the OP asked a question. Perhaps mumbodog's post was not the appliceable answer?
    I am running Adobe reader (9.1.0) on the 64BIt windows 7 (Ultimate) I have not experienced any problems

14. MaksiSanctum

MaksiSanctum

We had nothing but crashes from Adobe Reader 9.1-3 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

After much troubleshooting, the best solution we found was to download and install Adobe 8.2 which works flawlessly. It is the fully patched version of version 8 so security is not a big problem.
    The issue is to download version 8.2, you have to tell the current Adobe downloader that your OS is Windows 2003. If you do, it gives you the option of downloading Reader 9.3 OR 8.2.

Installed 8.2 and everything works.

15. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have been running version 9 since I installed Windows 7 64 bit. I have upgraded through all releases and now at 9.3.2 and still no issues.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice