1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adobe Reader Problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by xevious, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xevious

xevious Thread Starter

Hi, I recieved a bunch of .pdf files from a customer and when I click on the .pdf file, my computer wants to open it in word. If I right click on the file and select "open with", adobe isnt even on the list to open it. I have the latest version of adobe reader installed and I am running the latest version of windows xp pro. The only way I can open the files is by starting adobe reader and opening the files through there. Kinda sucks when I have to keep finding them through the reader when I should be able to just double click on the file and open it.

Thanks for your help.

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

that is a little wierd. Have you tried to uninstall Reader and re-install it? Also make sure it's up to date. Reader has updates that can be downloaded. What version of Office is this Word from? Could be some setting you can chooses there that overides Reader.

3. letchworth

letchworth

Hi;

Right click on a .pdf file and one of the options listed will be "Open With"--- select that one.

If the "Adobe Reader" isn't listed at the top of the suggested files---- select "Choose Program"

Again- a whole list of programs---- but, if the one you want is not listed, there is a choice below the box called "Browse"--- Selecting that one will take you to a Windows Explorer window where you can find the program you are looking for.

In your case it will be listed under:
    Program Files--- Adobe--- Acrobat 7.0--- Reader--- AcroRd32.exe

Select that one-- and you will be taken back to the prior selection list--- This time it will list "Adobe Reader 7.0"-- be sure it is highlighted and just below the selection list, there is a little tick box that says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file"--- Check that and hit "OK"

You should be golden---
    letchworth

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice