1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adroid Confusion

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by Alexender00, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alexender00

Alexender00 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm in a specific bind and would like some advice if you guys can help.

Here's my situation: I'm a 28yo male with a degenerative nerve disease and, mostly because of that, a rather weak constitution. That means I go and stay at the hospital for a few days every six months or so due to different issues.

Here's my problem: Due to my illness and the uncertainty of it (progression is unpredictable and kinda like a stock price graph with a slight downward trend) I try to be ready for the worst. Touch screens are very much easier for me to handle than usual mouse/keyboard combo (or it will be when my condition worsen) and as thus tablets are the best way for me to plan of that darker tomorrow.

The thing is over the years I've accumulated a rather large library of DVDs and the idea of not being able to watch them leave me cold. I know the limtations of tablets, but the recent crops like Galaxy Tab 10.1 (using an adapter) and the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime (With its dock) both support USB Host.

I tried over and over to get a straight answer on Google about this but either the answer are old, or talk about lacking USB Host (Which is no longer true) or DVD drivers (I don't know if this is still a problem or it can be ignored with the proper app). More claim they have seen tablets able to do it but don't tell which.

So I'm asking straight forward here: Can I connect a USB DVD player to a current gen (Honeycomb or Ice Cream) tablet provided they have USB Host support or will I be force to convert my entire DVD collection to a portable Hard Drive (Which I know are supported) to watch them?

Thanks for you support and sorry for the wall of text.

2. valis

valis Moderator

I don't have the answer (but I'm looking forward to it, as I'm getting an Android shortly) but will keep an eye on this thread. It may be better served moving it to multimedia, but we'll leave it here for now. Should there not be any hits in a few days, just type 'bump' and I'll move it to the multimedia forum.

thanks,

v

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I wouldn't count on any kind of optical drive support. External storage support will vary completely by each make and model of tablet device. I don't know of any current gen tablet that supports it, and there are no Ice Cream Sandwich tablets available yet.

Tablets are designed for streaming, not connecting to mass storage devices. I would suggest looking into the MacBook Air which has an excellent trackpad. If movie-watching is your primary activity, there's minimal interface interaction required. You start a movie, pause, stop, rewind, etc. and that's it.

Android tablets are not very user-friendly. People often mistakenly believe they're just like the iPad but slightly different, and that's not the case at all.

4. Alexender00

Alexender00 Thread Starter

User friendliness doesn't bother me. I'm not a computer illiterate at all. I'm looking at portability and ease of everyday use without the shackles of the Ipad closed ecosystem. The DVD playback is something I really want but ultimately it won't really affect my decision and I won't go Apple.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

User-friendliness has nothing to do with being computer literate. I suggest you go to a store and actually touch and feel a few tablets to get an idea of what you're looking at. This isn't a Windows versus Apple argument. Every Android tablet is different, and none have nearly as good a user experience as an iPad.

Since portability is a major concern, I also suggest you look very closely at battery life. Android tablets don't match the iPad there either.

6. Jaydesmith

Jaydesmith

In my opinion you can connect USB DVD player to your tablet and there is no need to convert DVD collection in to hard drive....

7. buttonstc

buttonstc

I just bought an Acer Iconia 7 inch tablet and it does have a USB connection as well as one for HDMI (to connect to my projector TV) but my projector already has a built in DVD player. So I wasn't really thinking along the lines of connecting a DVD player to my tablet. But I'm assuming it could be done.

If you can buy or access the Dec. issue of Consumer Reports that would help you in your
    R search. tablets was one of their featured articles and they give a pretty comprehensive listing along with a graph showing all the various connections (or lack thereof) for each make and model. Hope that helps narrow things down for you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice