1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ads Tech DVD Xpress ?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by astrodaddy, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astrodaddy

astrodaddy Thread Starter

Hello, I recently purchased the AdsTech DVD Xpress so I can transfer the home movies I have from my analog Hi-8 to my com. Everything about this program and equipment work great, but I have a problem. Whenever I save the home movie to my com, the file it creates on my com is extrordinarily huge! It saves the movies at 1.0 Mbps (its lowest setting) and a 30 second clip is, you guessed it, 30 Mb. Ive tried saving it as a VCD and others but its still too big, (VCD 17 Mb)

Does anyone know how to resize them?

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

There must be some options there you are missing. Is there a 4 mbits/sec capture setting? That should do about 2 hours in 4G. 1 mbits/sec sounds like it's the highest setting.

3. astrodaddy

Well, the thing is I would like to be able to upload short clips to the internet also, but 1.0Mbits per second takes up alot of room. Is there a converter I could use to make the files smaller?

Also, heres what it says about the speed in Mb.

Capture DVD (MPEG-2) at video bit rates from 1 Mb/sec. up to 15 Mb/sec. (up to
    4 Mb/sec. for USB 1.1 connections)

4. thecoalman

thecoalman

I'm not familiar with that capture device but it's a MPEG capture device so essentially you're stuck with MPEG capture. The good thing about a device like that is if you want to put your video on DVD it's already compliant and if you use an editor or authoring tool that only reencodes parts you have edited then it will greatly speed the process up.

The lowest preset you mention of 1mbit/sec is approx. VCD quality which is about the lowest you're going to want to go for DVD or viewing on your computer in a mpeg format. If you want to put these files on DVD for playback on a TV I'd suggest a minimum of 4mbit/sec preferably 6mbit/sec.

As far as reducing the files even further you can convert them to WMV with either MS Movie Maker or MS Media Encoder. Divx is another option. The higher quality file going in will produce a better file going out so if you're only purpose is to capture and convert to the smallest file possible temporarily capture to the 15mbit setting and convert it. Note that once you convert to WMV these files can be used for DVD authoring but are no where near as suitable as the original captures.

5. Mulderator

Mulderator

You need a new hard drive, not to resize your movies. As stated above, 1 mpbs is not good quality--I would use at least 4 and the files will be very big, but with the new 250 to 300 Gig hard drives so cheap, that is really not a concern anymore.

6. astrodaddy

As a hobby I do ghost hunting on the side, how can I convert clips to play on the net?

7. astrodaddy

I guess im stuck with these download formats?

Ive seen other clips on the net that play small clips of video at much smaller sizes than 1 Mb per second with decent quality, how can I do this?

8. thecoalman

thecoalman

I already answered your that question above.

Ms Medai Encoder is probaby the best solution for this. WMV will be the most compatible format.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/478855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice