1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ADSL broadband and XP. slower than dialup

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Axus, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

Help please.
    I have 900mhz PC on XP Pro with an internal Speedstream 3060 modem. I am on ADSL broadband with PLUS.NET (UK) It is so slow it has just taken it 60 seconds to download 180kb.
    It is connected to a laptop, also on XP Pro, via a "crossover" cable which is equally slow.
    I woould appreciate help please at DUMMY level. Keith

2. kramnnim

kramnnim

Have you tried calling your ISP's tech support? Or is it not a problem on their end?

3. levelheaded

levelheaded

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

This site might help.

When I had my 98 and ME machines on a cable connection it helped.

But I now have ADSL on an XP machine and can not get more then 60kb's out of it.

I think that it may be XP. It is a pain in my, well you sit on it.

4. Axus

Axus Thread Starter

Thanks Guys.
    Tried ISP they suuested varying MTU which hasn't helped
    Tried the link still no better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. dtugg

dtugg

If your ISP tech support is no more help than that, I'd suggest an new ISP!!!!

If that's not an option, you should switch out cables and possibly have them send you a new modem.

dtugg

6. dtugg

dtugg

Also, make sure that the DSL filters that they sent you are NOT on the phone line coming into the DSL modem.... Very Important!!

ERRRR.... Actually not sure if phone system in UK is the same as in US. If you do have the filters though, they must not be on the line coming to the modem...

dtugg

7. levelheaded

levelheaded

They are a bit different over here.

We actually have to types of plugs, the ones like the US then there are the others that I have only seen for the first time lst january when I moved here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/106234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice