1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ADSL Broadband disconnects when I take the phone off the hook

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crEA-tEch, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crEA-tEch

crEA-tEch Thread Starter

The ADSL Broadband disconnects when I take the phone off the hook ...

I connected the filter to a modem extention lead... would that have anything to do with it??

crE

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The filters should be on every piece of phone equipment on the DSL line EXCEPT the DSL modem.

3. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

You probably have a defective phone. try disconnecting the phone and pick up a different phone. I had a similar problem a while ago. And Johnwill is wrong. You can filter your junction box where the phone line comes into the house and run one direct line to the modem which by-passes the filter. This is a much more efficient way to set it up. I don't know why everyone uses a filter for every phone outlet. That would drive me crazy.

4. Deathblow

Deathblow

That's EXACTLY what johnwill just said, that every phone ON the DSL line needs a filter. If you put the filter at the box for all the other phones, and then run a unfiltered line to the modem, it's doing the exact same thing he just said. The reason most people do it at the phones is most users don't wanna be messing around at the box, and some can't even get to their box.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When I install DSL for local folks, I actually use a single filter and run a separate home-run directly to the junction box. I like to use quality wire to minimize the problems caused by lousy wiring.

And yes, one filter can filter multiple instruments, and I believe that's what I said, just not in those words. :)

6. grimreapor

grimreapor

hi
    i use bt broadband and i had a similar problem as well i rang there hotline they did a quick check and told me one off the two filters i have wasnt working write and sent me a new one

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/245423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice