1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adsl Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mykidzrokk, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mykidzrokk

mykidzrokk Thread Starter

We got ADSL 3 weeks ago and have not been able to sustain a connection for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

We have an Acer Aspire 6362R with Windows 98 SE. We have a DSL-200 modem. Initially I was told to get a PCI card installed and have the usb drivers updated to 2.0, which I did. I got the computer back yesterday and it has made no difference. I can usually connect long enough to do a few things, but then it disconnects and won't let me re-connect.

I get all different error messages like.....computer not answering, check configurations, check passwords........

I don't know where to go from here, apart from getting a new computer.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Susie

2. dc57

dc57

Hi Susie,
    I dont think it's your computer that's the problem. It sounds like your modem is set incorrectly. Have you gone to the modem manufacturer's website for udated drivers or an installation guide? I think that's a D-LINK modem. I would try to uninstall and reinstall the modem/software with updated drivers. Have you contacted your dsl provider? They may be able to walk you through the installation. That's about all I can think of to try right now. Hope it helps.
    Don

3. Sitb

Sitb

It may also help if you just restore the modem to it's factory default by holding the reset button with a pen while you power it on.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

USB connected networking frequently has issues with conflicts with other USB devices. I'd connect with Ethernet if the option exists.

5. mykidzrokk

Thanks everyone for ur quick replies. I will look into everything you have mentioned.

Thanks Again

Susie
    :)

6. mykidzrokk

Hi.......I went to the manufacturers website and there were no updates for the modem. I then unistalled the modem and reinstalled it. It connected right away and stayed connected for about 3.5 hours before disconnecting. I couldn't reconnect, but, upon rebooting, connected straight away. I have now been connected for almost 3 hours.

The next advice was to hold the reset button while powering up....I didn't understand that one, sorry. I couldn't find a reset button. The next type of modem up from mine, is an ethernet, maybe that will work, but I'd rather know it was definately going to work, rather than maybe, fork out the money and find it doesn't.

Hubby wants to know also, can you update from 98SE to XP Home???...rather than just buying a new computer. And, is that likely to make any difference to our problem.

Thanks Again

Susie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice