1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ADSL Modem slowing computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackHorseman, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

Well, not so long ago I got ADSL. In the process of the modem installation I got two new icons added to my system tray: one, I think, is 'CSA', whatever that might be, and the other just says: 'Unplug or Eject Hardware'.

I double clicked the second one, unchecked the box saying 'Show Icon in System Tray', and it was goan. The 'CSA' icon has an option to be removed from the tray icon too.

The question:
    Do I need those apps constantly running in the BG? Can I remove them from the tray, prevent them from starting at startup, and only run them when I connect?

They slow my computer a great deal, getting really molases-like.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Without knowing something about your service, it's hard to say what those programs are doing. I have cable modem service, and I've installed DSL for several folks, and we never use any of the ISP's software. You should post more details, what kind of ADSL modem, etc.

3. BlackHorseman

I have a DirectCom ADSL USB Modem, A360;
    5Vdc, 500mA.
    (In Device Manager:
    A360 (Native ATM Mode))

It's connected to my USB Card (I think it's what the entry in the Device Manager, in 'Universal Serial BUS Controllers' that says: 'USB Root Hub' is referring to).

I hope that's enough :)

Daniel.

4. Del

Del

Who is your ISP?
    It could just be a diagonostic software but not sure.

5. The_Egg

The_Egg

If you can click on the Connect icon and stay connected without those two items running in the systray, then that is proof enough that they are not needed. As Del says, one of them will probably be a Diagnostic Tool. I got one with my ADSL modem, but I disabled it in msconfig.
    There'll probably also be the same icon/s available in the relevant "Start -> Programs" folder, so you can start them from there if they're ever needed again.

6. BlackHorseman

Well, my connection works fine without those two programs running in the BG.

BTW - when right clicking on various icons in the system tray, there is often an option there to 'remove tray icon'. Now, this probably is a stupid question, but selecting that option would not necessarily mean the termination of the associated process, right?

:)

Daniel.

7. Del

Del

Right, takes it out the tray, but still running in background.

8. BlackHorseman

Well, I have removed them from the 'Run' folder in the registry, so they dont start at all. So far, so good....

:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice