1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adsl & nortons internet security.....grrrrrrr

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cooma, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cooma

cooma Thread Starter

I have been using ASL with a speed touch 530 usb modem for 15 mths.....recently i insalled nortons internet security and omg :mad: ...what a drama....since install i have not been able to use the broadband as the sync light on modem keeps flashing either green and amber or amber and off... i phoned the tech support for bigpond (telstra) and they do not have a clue.... there only suggestion was to buy a new modem for $240..or send a tech for $49 per hour... when i turned on the computer today the nortons opened with a message...that my license had been tampered with and to uninstall and reinstall...i have uninstalled but adsl is still not working and i am unsure what to do next.........help please :confused: ......

2. caffeen

caffeen

Have you tried turning the modem off...leaving it off for 1 minute, then turn it back on. If that fails...maybe try reinstalling the software that came with the modem?

3. cooma

cooma Thread Starter

hi..yep..i've tried turning off the modem for days......rebooting the modem..uninstalling etc,......so damn frustrating.....any more suggestions greatful..

4. buf

buf

I use an External Alcatel Home Speed Touch modem on a DSL but have never had the trouble you are experiencing, fortunately. I use Norton Internet Security 2002. Have you tried using the modem for a test without NIS running? You may want to try that to see if NIS is the cause. If so, inquire at Symantec for a possible solution. You gotta hate the predicament you find yourself in and I hope you get it going very soon and with NIS protection.
    BTW, I have to use phone "filters" and assume you do also. Could be possible that you have a bad filter. Just guessing cause I want you to be able to effectively use your equipment---and safely and very soon :)

5. kath100

kath100

Take a look in your modem help files / documentation, the sequence of flashing green and amber lights are diagnostic.

6. cooma

cooma Thread Starter

ths buf & kath........i have filters ...the same one as b4.....i have read all the user guides back to front and cannot find anything that helps...grrrr
    i have uninstalled nis after the nasty message it gave me (saying it was tampered with)....i have looked on there site but of cause cannot find anything....

thx again i will keep plugging away.....*fingers crossed* :)

7. buf

buf

i have uninstalled nis after the nasty message it gave me (saying it was tampered with)....i have looked on there site but of cause cannot find anything....

cooma, I don't know what the message you got concerning your NIS being tampered with may mean. It could be that you may want to run AdAware on your system and check for some bad stuff and remove them, if found.
    Also, you may consider running a complete virus check of your system, in Safe Mode. Update your virus definitions first These suggestions may not be important but then again they just may be very important--especially if anything is found. I'll keep checking in and hopefully see your post indicating good news (y)
    BTW, since you are posting, you must have another PC!! ;)

8. cooma

cooma Thread Starter

hi buf........before the dramas with nis i ran a full virus scan after updating.....and nothing.....thank god for 4 day week ends....ive spent just about every waking moment trying to fix this damn thing.....what else have i tried......i used system restoe to go back to before nis ....alas no go.........i uninstalled the modem and network and reinstalled etc.....alas no go......printed out the 50 pages of the user guide bllaaaarrrr...no help.........good news....i also have a dial up account of my b/friends...woowhooo...can still go on the net.....
    i am on adsl ..atm..tried reinstalling the setup disc from telstra ( bigpond) got right through to the end then got a error message...but hey...still connected....light is still flashing amber..but maybe not as much......will go and try adaware and get back to u....hope i can fix it today....back to work 2morrow.....btw..i have bought a new modem but still waiting for it to get here....thx..:)

9. buf

buf

Hi cooma---you have been busy as a bee ;) Seems as though you have done everything you can do and so it must be the modem. Do you have a warranty on it and if so, is it still within that period? Do you have recourse if the new modem does not "cure" the problem---can you return it for a full refund? Hope so, if that doesn't remedy the problem.
    Humor me with a last request, please. You said you turned the modem off but this time, please leave the modem turned an and just remove the round a/c plug in the back of the modem and leave it out for a couple of minutes. And a final test for you, unplug your telephone line from the PC and/or the wall plug for a couple of minutes. Then let us hear from you again.
    I also have my dialup modem still in my PC because my ISP gives 20 hours of dialup per month for DSL users for backup purposes. Getting onto the web that way is better than none but it does "hurt" having to use dialup after being on DSL--right :p
    BTW, I don't recall if you said you are using a router and I don't have the time just now to re-read this interesting "epistle" :D Will continue to wish nothing for you but good luck.
    Curious to know what that error is that you got when you tried to re-install the software from your ISP that you got on a CD. Doubt that it is necessary that I know this either. $200+ for an ADSL modem seems a big bit high to me. Now those 4 day weekends must be nice but those 72 hours represented by the 3 works days may not be so nice!! But then again.... ;)

10. cooma

cooma Thread Starter

hi buf...........no the warranty is out on the speedtouch...by 3 mths....so typical....i got my new modem today went for a differnt brand..(bought on ebay for $50 new etc) ....d-link dsl-200..and been playing on here for a a hour or so...and no flashing lights......i am contemplating re-installing nis....but i will disconnect the modem etc b4 i do that...so cross your fingers....i did try all that you suggested....i think the speedtouch is stuffed......when i am feeling relaxed again...lol ...i will try it again

thax again for trying to help......will let you know how i go with the re-install...di :)

11. buf

buf

cooma--the simpliest thing I can say is greatand I know you must be relieved. $50 is much much less than $250 :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice