1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ADSL problem with ISP Telefonica in Spain

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jokuvaa1, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jokuvaa1

Jokuvaa1 Thread Starter

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Telefonica in Spain?

I have this Telefonicas usb ADSL modem , which I want to change to this Belkin(nontelefonica) Wireless modem. Because Telefonica gives me only one public ip, I need to configure Belkin to routing mode. Telefonicas connection type is pppoe. Now here's the problem:

When I configure the right values to the modem, internet connection works, but some pages doesn't show up at all with this Belkin. For example:

newspaper www.iltasanomat.fi
    www.msn.fi
    Telefonicas web mail
    Client (telefonica with outlook express) mail won't receive mail, but it sees how many new messages I have. It just won't receive 'em.

Funny thing with this webmail is, that my other webmail(windows 2003 server / exchange) in finland works just fine.

Now, I tried to disable firewall from the Modem, it didn't help.
    I also tried to bridge the modem but I couldn't get internet work in bridged mode.

Could NAT cause the problem? I can't disable NAT in bridged mode can I? There isn't any settings concerning about NAT, only disable/enable.

The other thing I came up with, was this encapsulation choice. My ISP says that it should be rfc 2516. Belkin-modem has only values llc or vc and below 'em this mtu textbox. (I used LLC, with mtu default value 14.. something). I don't think this can be the problem, can it?

Any ideas what should I do?

Thanks

Juha

2. Jokuvaa1

Jokuvaa1 Thread Starter

Thanks for your answers ;) Problem solved...

3. JeffHilton

JeffHilton

I have exactly same problem with Telefonica/Belkin. Can see you got a solution but where is the answer? Regards

4. roypaun

roypaun

I too would like to know the answer as I have the same problem, except that I have my laptop working wirelessly through the Belkin router, but the desktop will still not connect to some sites (using a Belkin USB adapter). I have set up all the ports in the router, set to PPPOE, and MTU to 1400. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

5. Jokuvaa1

Jokuvaa1 Thread Starter

Hi,

Actually I ment I "kinda" solved the problem :)

I didn't get the belkin work in routed mode, so I adjusted it to bridged mode. Now, both computers work (laptop with wireless and workstation with wire), but one at a time (because of the telefonicas one public ip)

In case you want to know how to do it:

You should adjust the modem in bridged mode. I can't remember what was the setting I configured from the modem, but it was something like "use only the modem properties or something like that). Then I made an ordinary pppoe connection from windows "add new internet connection".

I still don't know why all the pages didn't show when the modem was in bridged mode. If someone knows a resolution for this, I'd appreciate it.

Hope this helps :)

6. JeffHilton

JeffHilton

Thanks to Jokuvaa1, roypaun and the mediator for your replies. I have been running 4 computers from a Telefonica ZyXEL router both wireless and wired for months without problem until I killed the router with a domestic flood!
    This appears to be a Belkin problem - their support suggested changing MTU to 1400 from 1423 but this is to no avail. Routers should not be this much of a problem in this day and age - will return belkin to supplier and install different manufacturer - then post results.
    Its a shame because otherwise the Belkin is easy to setup with good security - but a full morning on to Belkin support without results makes the whole thing useless.
    Thnks once again
    JeffHilton

7. JeffHilton

JeffHilton

Hi all
    Finally got a resolution to this - and it is an MTU settings problem.
    I was asked by Belkin support to download a .exe file named DRTCP021 from www.dslreports.com/drtcp (Its the second option down)
    Save this to your desktop, then run by double clicking.
    Under adapters select your computer's wired/wireless adapter and change the MTU setting to 1400.
    Select save, and exit. Then reboot your system.
    I found that I can now access all websites previously unobtainable.
    Apparently, this changes TCP/IP settings - at least within XP - to the right MTU (these settings can not be reached by normal navigation.
    Dont know if this fixes other operating systems (I also run a win2000 system) but will investigate.
    It all seems a bit long winded just to run a Belkin router! - when other manufacturers routers are plug + play.
    Best regards
    Jeff

8. tiptop

tiptop

Jeff
    Thank you very much you are a life-saver, after waste of times calls to Bangalore with Belkin and the very frustrating Telefonica, I so much wanted to cancel my account. I download the .exe file and I am now back in the world of the living in computer speak. Thank you

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice