1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ADSLHelp?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by billiegirl, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billiegirl

billiegirl Thread Starter

wondering if anyone can help my friend she having issues with adsl.

She got adsl 2 weeks ago, and haven't been able to stay connected to the net. The longest it has stayed connected is 2 hours. After constant phone calls to dod support and borrowing another friends tower, it came down to the fact that they needed to update USB drivers. She rang up a computer store and was told it sounded like they needed a PCI card installed and the drivers updated.

She rang them yesterday they tell her they don't need it, just an external 2.0 hub.....which she bought. Last night they connected immediately and it was all good, but 2 hours later it disconnected and the puter froze. Today she has managed to reconnect, but she sure it will go off soon.

She has checked "settings" and "systems" and the USB tab is not showing that She has the new 2.0 installed, it still says "standard 7001...blah, blah". I'm sure if ur puter has 2.0 it should say ënhanced"in there somewhere.

So what am is she missing??? What haven't she done??? What does she need??? She about ready to turf the whole lot and buy a new puter.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers :D

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think it's the crappy USB connection that's more likely the issue. One thing is for sure, there's absolutely no reason to use a hub between the modem and the computer, and it can only cause more problems!

What would really help if you'd specify the make/model of the broadband modem, the version of Windows in use, the make/model of the computer and/or motherboard, etc.

3. billiegirl

Thanks I get the info and I let you know, I know she has windows 98 but thats it.

4. billiegirl

Ok I got a reply from her this is what she said:

Any help would be great.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327897

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice