1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by danielj88, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielj88

danielj88 Thread Starter

Hello.

[​IMG]

Currently I am using the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC driver in XP with 1 core enabled. I am just wondering if it is possible to use the same driver for a single core in Windows 7? I am using one core and this driver because it improves performance on a few old games that I play. I would like to switch to Windows 7 but only if it is possible to reproduce the same environment for my games (Legend Of Mir 3).

Is it just a simple matter of disabling 3 cores in my BIOS and allowing Windows 7 to integrate the appropriate driver version? I cannot see an option for ACPI on my other system that has Windows 7 installed.

Thank you!

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type msconfig, press Enter.
    Click the Boot tab.
    Click the Advanced Options... button
    Set the number of processors here.

I don't know if this will have the same effect as using the single core versions of the hal/ntoskrnl files though.

You could also try setting the processor affinity in Task Manager for the game process, right click the process, click Set affinity...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!