1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advanced File Sharing - Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by snusa, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snusa

snusa Thread Starter

Please Help... I decided to use advanced file sharing with windows XP (all updates & service packs installed)

I have a big problem setting permissions after right clicking on a drive or directory. I have been unable (ever since going to advanced file sharing) to add any users to a specific file or directory. Removal of users and all the other stuff works fine. But.... I keep getting the following error when attempting to add a new user:

Unable to display the user selection dialog. (null)
    (this error appears as soon as I click the Add button!)

I also have a similar problem when trying to edit user permissions within administration (under Computer Management) When editing users in an attempt to make an existing user a member of a new group, I get the following error:

An error occurred attempting to create the Object Picker. An error with no description has occured.

I presume both these errors are related.

The rest of this box operates as well as a winxp system can. No problem with applications. This box is VERY STABLE. (except an occasional non-responding program which a normal shutdown)

Incidentally, I have no problem creating new users. (it all has to do with assigning them permissions, or making existing users the member of a new group.) Of course, all these problems are invisible when using the default simple file sharing.

I never would have known this problem existed except I decided to restrict certain portable backup drives from the network by enabling advanced file sharing.

2. jameso321

jameso321

3. jameso321

jameso321

4. jameso321

jameso321

I looked through the above articles and they were regarding Win 2000 mostly.

they did not mention that it had occured with XP also.

Given the fact that Google, Microsoft, and MSN searchs yield very little, I think this is a newer problem maybe.

Lets see what some other people here have to say about it.

jameso321

5. snusa

snusa Thread Starter

Nope.... No server clusters It's as if there is no object picker present or installed in the system.... I've run across 3 others in forums with similar problems.... I'm wondering if somehow a dll which provides object picker functionality (or the entire object picker wherever that is ) somehow is not installed.

Even when I try to access the add buttion for permission within regedit, I get the same weird error..... "Unable to select the user selection dialog. (null)

Even when I enter into advanced security settings for the winreg key as suggested in article 816818, hitting the select button for Group or user name: returns the same error as above.....

Can't seem to select anything using the object picker..... I think it's missing from the system!!!!!?????

6. jameso321

jameso321

I have seen this a few places too with no solutions -sigh-

Maybe another Tech knows?

:(

jameso321

7. snusa

snusa Thread Starter

Interestingly enough, I never would have known this problem existed had I not turned on advanced file sharing... But now that I have, it has become apparent to me that this problem exists everywhere throughout this windows xp installation. I'm going to turn off advanced file sharing, and see what happens when i try to set permissions on keys in the registery. (I suspect this problem will still exist whenever the object picker is instantiated.)

8. snusa

snusa Thread Starter

This problem is appearing in many places, still no idea about a fix!

9. snusa

snusa Thread Starter

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!

Original Problem:
    Unable to display the user selection dialog. (null)
    (this error appears as soon as I click the Add button!)
    I also have a similar problem when trying to edit user permissions within administration (under Computer Management) When editing users in an attempt to make an existing user a member of a new group, I get the following error:
    An error occurred attempting to create the Object Picker. An error with no description has occured.

SOLUTION!!!

Seems this error is caused by replacing the file RICHED32.DLL with a previous version. For those of you who may have used a program called Drumbeat 2000, replacing the windows XP RICHED32.DLL with an older one from Windows 98SE is a required workaround for the WYSIWYG to work properly!

10. jameso321

jameso321

Good to see you figured somwthing out.

Jameso321

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!