1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advanced settings, & Temporay Internet file folders: Opinions on these settings?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Gary R, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

My comp. (description below) has these settings:

FILE SYTEM TAB in Advanced settings
    :Desktop Computer
    :Full Read Ahead
    Another tab has the "Let Windows Manage Virtual Memory" box checked
    :
    And The "Temporary Internet Files Folder" is set at 1,192 Mb
    (Drive has 35 Gb Free, and is NOT partitioned
    Temporary Internet...." setting is the default it was set at when computer wasbuilt/set up.
    :
    Question: Would changing any of these 4 improve how fast a webpage, or files from, say Word 2000, or other W98SE program would load, or since I'm not having any problems so far, just leave things as they are now?
    :
    Late Question: What is Pstores.exe used for?
    System info calls it a Protected Storage Server, & says ita Microsoft program.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Gary R,
    Leave the "Let Windows Manage Virtual Memory" alone. You can do it youself, but feel comfortable to let Windows.
    I have my PC set to Network instead of Desktop Computer. Small performance boost.
    Full Read Ahead is Ok
    I would set the "Temp Internet Files Folder" size to about 50mb.
    This will give a small boost but nothing that will break the sound barrier. One other thing :
    Go to the internet options applet in control panel. Click on the advanced tab. Scroll down til you see Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed check box. Check it. This will delete the temp internet files when you close IE

3. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for comments re settings.
    :
    I'm wondering about something else: When I burned a CD the other day (the first one I've ever made--and it worked :D) I noticed it said something to the effect while it was burning that the buffer was full.
    I was just thinking .... would the temporary Internet files setting be set at that default (1192Mb) because of the disk (or memory space?) required when burning a CD:confused:
    :
    As to cleaning the folder, I use a shareware program called "Window Washer" (Version 4.0) which cleans the stuff out of folders that W98SE, IE5, & OE5 put on a drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice