1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advanced system recovery questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbxrider, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

after reading ms + others I have a couple questions

the insert disk can only be a floppy? that can't be right todays pc's only have cd or dvd or possible usb

any way to write the backup .bkf file to a dvd instead of some hd other than the c drive?

the writeup talks about formatting the entire c drive before the new windows install, is it not possible to just just reinstall windows, in the old windows folder, leaving the drive intact, so you still have documents and settings, program files, etc, so that when the asr restores the os image, all the old programs etc are still there ready to run?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The answer to the floppy ASR is herewith

To recover from a system failure using Automated System Recovery
    1. Make sure you have the following items before you begin the recovery procedure:
      • Your previously created Automated System Recovery (ASR) floppy disk.
      • Your previously created backup media.
      • The original operating system installation CD.
    2. Insert the original operating system installation CD into your CD drive.
    3. Restart your computer. If prompted to press a key in order to start the computer from CD, press the appropriate key.
    4. Press F2 when prompted during the text–only mode section of Setup. You will be prompted to insert the ASR floppy disk you have previously created.
    5. Follow the directions on the screen.
      Note ASR will not restore your data files.
    The floppy was specified by Microsoft becuase the CD drive is in use by the XP install disc.
    People using this system, should really consider it an Image, rather than a backup.
    Personally, I use Acronis (WD Version) True Image, as I have WD HDD`s and Nero7.
    and much prefer them to XP`s backup and restore, either Wizard or Custom.
    I do not quite understand the last paragraph of your question as ASR does not work like that.
    Please see this
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxppasr.html

And of course please post back with any further query

3. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

thanks, I didn't see how ASR takes control, and does the format etc. what I hoped ASR (or something else) did, was create a windows image so that you could restore windows only while leaving the rest of the drive intact, which you would need anyway if restoring a windows snapshot. I guess the thing that comes closest is a windows repair, after selecting install windows, that seems to do a pretty good job of leaving all the previous state stuff alone and installing new programming, that will work with the previous state of things. I'll keep acronis in mind for future use.

4. Macboatmaster

Yes, you can. Use Acronis (WD) version if you have a Western Digital disc on the system. Otherwise Western Digital will not allow you to download it. Many other HDD manufacturers have their own or free version of something like Acronis.
    You can of course use XP`s backup in advanced mode to back up any part of the computer you wish.
    Use the backup left hand pane to select and that will then place the items in the window.
    If you go to this link, it is one of the best guides on the full question of backup.
    Hope it helps.
    http://tweakhound.com/xp/backup/1.htm

5. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

tweakhound is good article, since I'm totally broke any comments on clonezilla for making a partition image?

so say I have c drive with x partitions but the c: with windows is say 40gb out of 100 and it uses 25gb of the 40, so i make an image of the c:, then the drive goes completely south, I can put in a new drive, minimum 40gb drive, a different manufacturer from old drive, and somehow run an image restore, that will carve out the saved c: image on the new drive and should be able to run the win system saved on the image?
    to run the image restore requires some type of os to recognize the new drive and the drive where the c: image is residing, how does that happen?

6. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

clonezilla is what I'm using, it works as documented. It has numerous options for the place to save the image and can be booted from cd/dvd drive or flash. if you image a partition, the image created is only as big as the actually used portion of the partition.

7. Macboatmaster

I am not familiar with Clonezilla, perhaps someone else will come in on the thread who is.
    Depending on what backup was done, for instance a full image OR a partial backup there are numerous possibilities.
    The full explanation for XP Professional backup, or XP Home (which is not installed by default) is available of course on the Microsoft site and of course on the XP installation via Help and Support.
    For instance the Acronis (Western Digital Version) is free if you have a WD HDD and as I said in the previous post, most HDD manufacturers include some sort of backup/image programme on their site.
    May I suggest you look at what you want to do, with what HDD setup you have.
    This is an explanation of Acronis and YES it can restore to any hard drive and will restore your original partitions.
    http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Acronis_restore.htm

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!