1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advanced traffic shaping on windows server 2003

Discussion in 'Networking' started by amino1986, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amino1986

amino1986 Thread Starter

i have a network like this:

ISP--->ADSL router--->NIC 1--->win 2003 server--->NIC 2--->switch--->10 clients

i use DHCP server on the win 2003 machine with reservation(each cleint get the same ip everytime)and i also use routing(NAT)on the server so the client pcs can access the internet

i want to know about any 2003 built in utility or a 3rd party software which will enable me to:

1-limit the download and upload speed of certain cleints

2-limit the concurrent connections that a client can eastblish to a remote ip(there is a user who 24/7 use download managers to download stuff and he use maximum number of connections in the download manager so he utilize the whole bandwidth so other users do not have enough bandwidth to surf web,voip so on..it will be nice if he got limited to use 1 connection per download instead of using like 16 connection of IDM,internet download manager,)

3-limit the traffic per day for each client(like each cleint can download 100 MB per day..if exceeded he can not download anymore till next day)

4-block access to certain adult websites(some users are childs)

thnx in advance and sorry for poor english

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You'll have to look into a proxy server for some of those things you are asking. With connection and bandwidth limiting, you're talking about QoS (quality of service.) Not sure if this is an option at the server level but I do know more advanced routers and switches support this.

3. amino1986

amino1986 Thread Starter

1st
    i think this shaping can occur at the server level becasue all LAN traffic is routed from the NIC of server connected to the lan to the second server NIC connected to the adsl router so if there is any untility to filter this traffic it would be possible

2nd
    how can i make my server act as a proxy server..any documentation?

3rd
    what brands of routers can do this?

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Here's a link on installing QoS onto a Server 2003 install:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...258c-4f0b-ad04-dc4db9e4ee631033.mspx?mfr=true

Browsing through Microsoft's website looks like this is what you need to make your server 2003 install a proxy server:

http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/prodinfo/overview.mspx

Particularly the discussion here:

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/edgesecurity/iap.mspx

As far as which routers can do this type of stuff, Cisco routers and firewalls can. You might have to do a mix of both types to get both QoS control and layer 7 filtering. I've only browsed through these functions as my job doesn't require implementation of these features.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!