Advanced User Password Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Camlax38

Im comp savy enough to identify my problem im just unsure how to fix it. Here it is...

I run 2 machines 1 is an intel and the other an AMD, well call the Intel machine comp1 and the AMD machine comp2. Just recently my AMD board craped out :( (it was old, pretty sure one of the caps are blown but thats another problem).
There is stuff I had saved on comp2 that i want. comp2 required a password to log onto winxp pro. The stuff I want access too on comp2 was saved to a few different desktop folders.

I took the hard drive from comp2 and put it into comp1, also winxp pro. To access the files i want i open my computer, select the HD from comp2, clicky documents and settings, Select the user(which was pass word protected) and bam get hit with access is denied.

The problem I believe is since that user name is passworded I can not access it from the current OS im booted on. Since comp1 and comp2 are totally different I cant simply boot comp2's OS and copy the files over, also since comp2's OS isnt bootable I cannot simply switch users while being logged onto comp1's OS.

I dont have the time to fix comp2's mobo atm nor do I have the money to purchase another one. My best guess is to open comp2's HD, go to the windows folder>system32 and try and set up that user to not need a password or to allow guests to change the files. I have only had time to just begin playing with it since I am busy with a new job. Any Ideas or quick directions would be great

thanks
**EditIdeally I would like to be able to access the files from comp2's HD and not have to copy them over to comp1, Comp1s HD is rather small and would rather not have the files eat up all the room.

Camlax38

Just a quick update of some things I have tried before i head to bed.

-Tried using admin tools from comp2's windows folder, Changed the password for account to nothing and it didnt work

-Tried using xcopy to copy the directory in cmd, still nothing

-Attempted to give guests admin privies with admin tools from comp2's windows folder. Still the access is denied.

-Attempted to use move in cmd to change the directory, again nothing access is denied'

Im not sure if there is sometype of editor i can use to delete that user acount with out losing all the things saved to the docume~1 folder?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online