1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advanced: XP Home + Original USB Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by slk, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slk

slk Thread Starter

Alright, here's my problem, and it's pretty complicated.

My onboard USB ports stopped working one fine day. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for them (default drivers). I heard that uninstalling the drivers in Safe Mode will refresh the driver cache, but it didn't.

Problem - I can't install my onboard USB ports (which require no extra drivers). I went out and bought a USB 2.0 card (which is, of course, backwards compatible), but I can't install the controllers for that either (the other components install fine, but they can't function without the controllers).

Steps taken - I freed up about 20 gigs and then partitioned my main hard drive. Made a 6 gig partition, installed another copy of XP home there, and when I booted up it in, my USB ports worked like a charm. I took a screenshot of the driver files that make for perfect use of all the USB devices in the fresh install of XP hom, and that's located here: http://uniworldcruises.com/aaa/drv.gif

Don't worry, my display is fine, I just compressed it to very bad GIF quality for a small file size. I tried copying those files to the co-ordinating directories in my current install, but that was no help. I've tried installing in all the different modes, telling the install program to look in D:\windows\system32 and \drivers in there, but that doesn't work either.

Conclusion - I have the right drivers, but the install program just won't recognize them. What do I do? I'd -really- like not having to work off a fresh install. Thanks in advance.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Go into Device Manager and right click top level Universal Serial Bus Controllers icon and select Scan for hardware changes. Follow what is states, reboot, and test.

If that does not do it repeat the process and select the USB Controller and Scan for hardware changes. Follow what is states, reboot, and test.

If that does not do it repeat the process and select the USB Controller and Update drivers point to where the drivers are located. Follow what is states, reboot, and test. Good luck.

3. slk

slk Thread Starter

But I told you already, I've DONE that. Even when I try to reinstall the drivers pointing to the ones that work in the fresh install of XP, it says "can not find the necessary software for your hardware."

If I try to install it manually, it says "the specified location does not contain any information about your hardware."

4. Dan O

Dan O

You stated: "I heard that uninstalling the drivers in Safe Mode will refresh the driver cache, but it didn't.", not that you tried Scan for hardware changes, using the same same sequence I suggested.

The next step is to remove the new USB interface and disable USB in BIOS. Then boot into Safe Mode and delete the top level Universal Serial Bus Controllers, which should delete all lower items. Reboot and make sure it is gone. Then enable USB in BIOS, and reboot. Good luck.

5. slk

slk Thread Starter

Sorry if I sounded a little rude and such, it's just a frustrating problem =/

Yes, I've tried that as well. Disabling USB and such, and please try to understand, I'm not a newbie. I've done computer troubleshooting professionally, and I've tried _everything_ that came to mind, but the problem still remains that the Windows installer program won't detect the right drivers even when I point it to the folder.

EDIT: If you want to see, I took a screen shot of how the controllers show up in Device Manager. Nothing out of the blue, just... maybe it helps. http://uniworldcruises.com/aaa/drv2.gif

Two of those are onboard and two from the USB 2.0 card I installed. (I've also tried SP1, btw. No luck.) I've tried all the different configs as well, such as disable onboard and use only the PCI extensions, and vice versa. Again, no luck.

Much appreciated

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice