1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advantages of memory sticks/flash cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuzzyWuzzy, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Thread Starter

Anyone use one? I heard its alot easier, and faster than burning a CD everytime. Are they worth the money? What make is best?

2. junker39

junker39

Fuzzy,for the money, time savings, and ease of use, there is nothing better. I've got an "older" 128MB Lexar Jump Drive (USB 1). It's just a matter of plug in, drag and drop, unplug. Put it in your pocket and go. You can carry pictures, programs, anything that's on your PC. Then plug into another PC and you've got it there. You can keep your confidential stuff on one and have it with you instead of leaving it on the PC. It works like a miniature hard drive. XP will recognize the drive without installing drivers but 98-ME will require the driver cd or d/l from the drive's website.
    My 128MB is good for my needs and I think you can get one up to a 1 or 2 gig now. I can't tell you who's got the "best". I'm not sure one brand is any better than another other than the warranty. Get you one.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have a number of these, the two that I use most of the time are a 256mb JumpDrive Pro and a 1gig JumpDrive Secure. I love them, and they're the model of convenience. :)

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

I use a flash drive at work and they're brilliant. One catch, don't store anything mission critical on them as they sometimes seem to wipe themselves for no apparent reason (possibly being left next to a phone?), use CDs for important backups.

5. JohnWill

I've never had FLASH devices lose their mind. It's not being next to the phone, or anything similar, since they're not affected by magnetic fields...

6. Arcadion

Arcadion

I know, it's strange. We haven't been able to figure out what does it.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    At work we've had two die completely within a year. Now we use them quite a lot and they get used on a huge variaty of computers that have problems of own problems. Its not that they've lost their data but they just stopped working.

Are they better then CD's? I think so.

8. JohnWill

I guess I've been lucky with the ones I've come across. When I travel, we use them a lot. It's funny to see a bunch of people around a conference table with laptops swapping USB sticks back and forth! :D

9. hewee

hewee

I got me my first one for xmas and it is nice.
    My sister was over and I took some pictures and she goes can I get the pictures too.
    I said ok I will upload and email them to you and she said I got my flash card so it was easy to copy the images to her flash card so she would have it. Was great but then when I went to unplug the card she said stop you have to turn if off by the clock first before you pull out the card. I said I do not have anything by the clock for the flash card.
    But some where when I installed the drives I read something about it and that 98SE I did not have to do this. She has XP and it puts something by the clock.
    Also she says everytime you plug it in it has the windows finds new hardware thing come up on here PC. Her flash card did that on my PC too but if I put in my card it does not do it. So does it know about each card if it is new or not?
    Anyone know anything more about turning off the flash card by the clock because I looked and looked and I can not find where I read about it so guess it was the readme that came up when I installed the drives.

10. JohnWill

In the system tray with 2K/XP, a small green arrow over a grey "card" icon will appear when a device that can be hot-plugged is connected. If you left click on this, it'll pop up a list of the devices you can unplug, select one and it'll be disconnected.

11. hewee

hewee

Thanks John but that is just for 2K/XP and not 98SE.
    You think it would be just as easy for 2K/XP as it is for 98SE because I don't have to clicking around first before I unplug the flash card.

12. JohnWill

You can go into Device Manager and check the box for the device for "quick removal". This claims to allow you to unplug USB devices without using the disconnect. However, for large disks, they'll be considerably slower without write caching. I suspect it wouldn't make much difference for FLASH drives, you could try that. For 2K, the box is labeled simply "Write Caching".

13. hewee

hewee

It is not even listed in Device Manager so guess it only shows up if the flash card is pluged in.
    But then if I check the box for the device for "quick removal" it would not last long if it goes away from Device Manager after I unplug it and/or unplug it and reboot.
    I will have to keep my eye open when I use and see jusy how it shows up in Device Manager.

14. JohnWill

Yes, you have to have the device plugged in for it to show up in Device Manager. :)

15. hewee

hewee

I looked later in Device Manager and don't even see the option for "quick removal".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/319085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice