1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advent 4211 will not power up for more than 5 secs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radar.wizard, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radar.wizard

radar.wizard Thread Starter

I have an Advent 4211 netbook; 1GB RAM; 80GB HDD, running Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3.

1. On pressing the POWER button, button lights up/ HDD indicator LED shows green and the screen gives the "Press "DEL" / press "F11" key message.... then, the whole thing goes off. Total time on is only 5 secs or so. This is with or without battery fitted.
    (I bought it knowing the problem existed; it is as new condition, and apparently unused from new!).

2. With battery inserted and mains power connected it indicates battery is being charged. Battery charge LED goes out after a period of time (40 mins the first charge).

3. I removed the battery and power supply completely and held down the power button for 60 secs to discharge any static. And retried 3 or 4 times to power up on mains power supply only (battery NOT fitted), after each attempt I discharged static as before described.

4. It never started the XP start-up screen; but one time, after pressing "DEL" button it went into the set-up mode and stayed there long enough for me to look at the contents and then exited the screen and windows XP started.
    It appeared as a "first" powerup, and I completed the basic set up just language/ time/ date/ PC name/ keyboard type etc.
    I selected "shut-down" with a view to restarting in another room where I could plug in a cable for my router connection.
    Alas, no such luck. I have not been able to get it to power up again. Even after repeated tries. Symptoms the same as noted in (1) above. ( I did read that the static discharge "method" might only be a temporary fix).
    I'd like to fix this permanently:!… any ideas/ solutions would be most welcome.
    Many thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!