1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

advent 7086 upgrade help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moonnicholas, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moonnicholas

moonnicholas Thread Starter

Hi there
    can any one please help me
    I have an Advent 7086 laptop
    which I am upgrading to 1 g of RAM

But I want to upgrade my hard drive from the oem of 40gb to 80gb or above
    it runs a Hitachi Travelstar HTS541040G9AT00 as oem
    I know I can get an HTS80gb hdd but will it fit with no problems I can also get a HTS100gb
    does anyone know are they a straight swop ?
    any help would be much app:confused:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's a pretty old laptop. I wouldn't spend much money trying to upgrade it. Do you have a Windows installation disk for it? Is it the original restore disk? Or do you already have all the drivers you need? It uses the old IDE hard drive interface, so you need to make sure whatever you get has that interface. I wouldn't go larger than 80GB since there's probably a BIOS limitation on size. Even 80GB might be a stretch.

3. moonnicholas

moonnicholas Thread Starter

hi thanks
    for the reply
    I bought new copy of windows xp home edition and reloaded it no problems
    both hdd I am looking at are IDE interfaces
    but what is a BIOS limitation on size ?
    I can go down to a 60gb
    thanks

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Given that the laptop is so old, the BIOS may not support a larger hard drive. Without detailed information from the manufacturer, you're not going to know without trying.

EDIT: What are you planning to do with this old laptop that you need a larger hard drive for? If it works as it is, I suggest you leave it.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with DoubleHelix. Is there some compelling reason why you want to go from a 40 GB ot a 80 GB hard drive?

Increasing the amount of RAM is quick and simple, but replacing the hard drive involves reinstalling Windows XP, device drivers, programs, updates, etc. and takes a lot of time. And there's the risk of something going wrong along the way.

-------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!