Advent DT2410 ram question + graphics card. Help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IamPotato

Ryan
As the title, I have an Advent DT2410 which currently has 8gb ram installed. I was gifted two sticks of hyperX fury 4gb ram sticks. I am aware that my pc has only 2 slots and if it has 2 4gb already inside it then this question is irrelevant but... how do I know if the ram is compatible?

I thought it would be easy to solve online and I did try.

Also... I was gifted 2 Asus Nvidia Geforce 210 graphics cards... (not sure why 2) and I was wondering is it worth replacing my current AMDHD6670 2GB GDDR3 card for one of those? I really know nothing about graphics cards. All I know is that I achieve a decent level of gaming using my current one.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have an Advent DT2410 which currently has 8gb ram installed. I was gifted two sticks of hyperX fury 4gb ram sticks. I am aware that my pc has only 2 slots and if it has 2 4gb already inside it then this question is irrelevant but... how do I know if the ram is compatible?
The Advent DT2410 desktop supports up to 16 GB(8 GB X 2) of RAM.

It uses 240-pin DDR3 PC3-10600(1333 MHz) or DDR3 PC3-12800(1600 MHz), 1.5 volt, unbuffered, non-ECC modules.

You didn't describe the 4 GB modules currently in it nor the 4 GB modules that you were gifted, so we don't know if they're compatible.

I was gifted 2 Asus Nvidia Geforce 210 graphics cards... (not sure why 2) and I was wondering is it worth replacing my current AMDHD6670 2GB GDDR3 card for one of those?
NVIDIA GeForce 210

AMD Radeon HD 6670

The current AMD card has a much higher benchmark score.

--------------------------------------------------------

IamPotato

Ryan
http://www.dabs.com/products/kingston-8gb--2-x-4gb--hyperx-fury-white-series-1866mhz-ddr3-cl10-dim-9DCW.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=Components%20and%20Storage%20-%20Memory%20-%20Generic%20Memory&gclid=CPOGx9CT7cYCFUKWtAodhQIHSA

That is the exact ram I have been gifted. However, had a quick inspection of the ram already in my PC and I do have 2 4gb sticks so I guess I'll need to sell the ram and graphics cards and purchase myself 2 sticks of compatible 8gb.

I used a website called crucial to scan my computer and it suggested 'compatible' ram. However it has no reviews which makes me unlikely to buy anything from that site.

Can you recommend a good place to purchase?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Crucial brand modules is what I usually buy at the www.newegg.com site because it's a well-known and reliable brand.

Here are its available 16 GB(8 GB X 2) DDR3-1333 MHz and DDR3-1600 MHz kits.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Unless you really have a need to have 16 GB of RAM in your computer, 8 GB is plenty for most purposes.

You don't need to max it out with 16 GB just because it supports that amount.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

IamPotato

Ryan
Ah right that's enough for me to buy from them then, I just needed that reassurance.

The main reason I am considering extra ram is that I have recently began recording footage for review purposes, commentary etc and I have found that it my computer can sometimes drop the odd frame here and there when I'm recording in 1080p. 720p seems to be fine but I'd like to push for that extra quality if I can.

At the moment I am not in a position to spend a great deal of money so I thought that extra ram might be the most cost effective way to get the results I am after?

Saying that, I am experimenting with the settings in my capture software to see if I can tweak them to bring better results.

Thankyou for your advice thus far sir, you are very helpful!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome. :)

---------------------------------------------------------

You didn't mention the description of the processor in that computer.

That can have a big effect on its overall speed and performance.

---------------------------------------------------------

IamPotato

Ryan
My computer is as follows:

Intel Quad Core i5-3330 desktop CPU 3.0GHz and turbo boost technology (whatever that is).

I have had some improvement now I am not using a fixed bit rate to record and using a custom buffer. (I dont really know what most of this means Im just following some advice and experimenting haha).

My graphics card does alright and I have read that there can be an issue with my model when swapping out graphic but like I said I'm fairly happy with the card I've got.

IamPotato

Ryan
So mine is almost at the bottom haha I guess it makes up for it on the bang for buck chart sort of.

Slowly realizing I actually know very little about computing! I need to educate myself for when I eventually buy a new machine.

I've never looked into overclocking or turbo boosting before, not sure I need to?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My "thumbs up" means you have a good processor in that computer.

Its benchmark score is almost double what my Intel Core 2 Duo processor is.

----------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome. :)

----------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online