1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advent laptop advice...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moopy4, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moopy4

moopy4 Thread Starter

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about the Advent laptops? if they are a good brand etc.

The specs below are what i have my eye on, Its a nice size and seems to have everything im looking for although its between this or a dell laptop (with same specs)thats rather large in size which im not keen on (visually) but alot of people have said that dell is the best make.... what do you think?

ADVENT 7095

Intel Celeron M 370 Processor 1.5GHz
    Antler Lite Bag, 512MB Data Storage (extra)
    400 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
    14.1" TFT Display
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    64 MB Shared Graphics
    Optical Mouse, DVD+R 50pk

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Pretty much a budget brand really (Dixons own brand).
    And I think they're actually made by "eMachines" unless the deal has changed recently...... and therefore best avoided at any price.
    So despite your reservations, if it's a straight choice, I would have to go with the DELL - on the grounds of quality.* :rolleyes:

*(Hopefully the first and last time I will ever have to utter that particular phrase!)

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    DELL is not the BEST make - there are lots of different manufacturers out there
    ACER
    HP/COMPAQ
    TOSHIBA
    PACKADE BELL

to name a few
    I have had Digital, HP, Compaq and Toshiba laptops, friends have DELL and my son has Advent

all have the + and - 's

I think ADVENT is specially made for the DIXONS group, so thats PCWORLD, DIXONS, CURRYS, [although Dixons are now CurrysDigital ]

My Son recently purchased a ADVENT laptop as it seemed to be a very good performance price ratio - hes had it since xmas so no long term reliability tests yet - but its used every day

hope that helps - is it a good price?
    I have found JohnLewis to be very good price recently and they also offer a 2yr warranty

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Antler do make some nice bags. :D

5. moopy4

moopy4 Thread Starter

the advent laptop is 399.99, but if i pay 449.99 then i get a bag, mouse, dvd discs and 512mb extra..... its a cute little laptop, im a sucker for the look. I was looking at it in pc world.

the dell one is an inspiron 1300 with the following specs:

1.6 ghz
    1024 mb (2x 512mb)
    60gb
    15.4 inch screen

It sounds very good although a little big....height 35.9mm, width 356 mm, depth 265.5mm, and the name gives me some comfort.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I've had excellent luck with Averatec models, and they're attractively priced.

7. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

eMachines are consummate experts at making attractive packages with inferior quality components inside.
    That is their "thing!"

The DELL has a bigger screen (hence the larger size) and more memory as standard (apparently).

It's really Hobson's choice if that's your absolute price limit.
    You'll have to weigh up the whole package(s) and the level of warranty/support you're going to be getting.... because you'll probably be using it.

It would definitely be beneficial to broaden the choice a little, and the budget.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    OK just to compare specs -
    ADVENT 7095

Intel Celeron M 370 Processor 1.5GHz
    Antler Lite Bag, 512MB Data Storage (extra)
    400 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    DVD ReWriter MultiDrive
    14.1" TFT Display
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    64 MB Shared Graphics
    Optical Mouse, DVD+R 50pk
    ----------------------------------------------
    1.6 ghz
    1024 mb (2x 512mb)
    60gb
    15.4 inch screen

The advent only has 512MB and shares that with a 64MB graphics card - so system memory will be 448mb

so the 1G memory will be much much better
    Whats the graphics on the machine

9. moopy4

moopy4 Thread Starter

I will only be using the laptop for essay writing, playing music and basic emails and internet use (msn, search etc)....as it will be while im at uni :)

so im not sure i need a too powerful laptop, and the ones that ive been lookin at in the range of 400 squids seem to be on the right path ....

I looked at Acer, they had a good laptop :

512mb, 80gb, graphics 64mb.........but i got quite a few response on one of my posts saying it wasnt a good brand so had brushed that idea awy.

The dell graphics are:
    Integrated Direct AGP Graphics

the advent is:Integrated Graphics
    Graphics Memory Up to 64mb shared

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well the toshiba I have just for Open Uni stuff for my wife - is 256MB shared 32MB grahics, quite slow and sluggish
    as I said noone is BEST - and someone will have a poor experiance of all manufacturers at sometime. Have a search here for DELL and you will see a lot of complaints about machine full of unwanted software {bloatware} and poor customer support.

so you will have to pay your money and make you choice
    both machines use intergrated graphics - so not a lot in that
    the only advantage may be the IGB of memory - but I have had laptops with 512MB and less working OK.

as i said my son has the ADVENT with 512MB turion processor and he plays lots of music, msn, email and supposedly A level school work :)

also in the extended family are at least two ACER laptops working well, and i know one had a HDD failure in warranty and the service was excellent

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice