1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advent roma start up loop/ black screen white cursor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seshy1994, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

Hi there can anybody please help me when i turn my laptop on it comes up with the normal advent start up screen and the loading bar the loading bar completes then it goes to a black screen with a white flashing cursor for about 5 seconds then just restarts that whole process again i can go into bios setting i have tried putting sata cd as boot priority that doesnt work i have also tried sata hdd as boot priority and that doesnt work i cant go into safe mode and when i press f8 to try recovery boot it just does the same thing as explained before can somebody please help me

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

This "loading bar", is that the Windows loading bar? If so, it is attempting to load Windows, presumably from your SATA HDD. It sounds like your operating system may have become corrupt.

What version operating system are you running?

3. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

No it doesnt reach that far as soon as you power up the laptop it says advent with a loading bar then it usually goes to the windows loading bit but now it just goes to a black screen with a flashing white cursor in the top left hand corner then restarts and does the same thing over amd over. i am running windows 7 i dont have a bootable disk.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If you have another PC, you can download a copy of Windows 7 (useless without the key, obviously) and create your own disk to attempt Window's repair. Alternatively, you can test your HDD. It may have gone south on you ...

5. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

Well i dont have a key so basically i am going to have to buy a new copy of windows ? How can i test my HDD ?

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    No, you don't need a key. That why you can download the software.

If you know the HDD manufacturer, you can generally download diagnostics from their web site. Usually you can create a bootable CD or use a flash drive.

7. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help will give that a try on a usb and let you know the outcome.

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Good luck!

9. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

Downloaded the original trial for windows 7 had to do a full re install of windows and it got to 3 quarters of the way and failed so i restarted the computer and it seemd to do a hard drive repair it self now it can boot up as normal just windows has reset wich is bad but all my files are in a windows.old folder so its not nad will just take some time to get everything back to normal, better than loosing everything i suppose! Plus i have just spotted my original activation key on the base of the laptop :) Thank you for your help much appreciated.

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Glad you got it working! I'd still run the HDD mfr diags on it. It sounds like it may be a bit flaky ...

11. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

Okay will do

12. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

I have another problem wondering if you can help windows starts up fine im trying to do hdd check but my laptop is switching off by it self at random times it does it everytime i right click and everytime i go into my computer i have core temp and the temperature doesnt go past 50 i have cleaned the fan out to make sure. Any idea why this is happening ?

13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If you download the manufacturer's diags on a self-booting media you can run the system outside of Windows. That would eliminate the software aspect, or determine if it is your hardware (if it shuts down even when not in Windows). I suppose you didn't have this issue before?

If it is a Windows thing, try to back up all of your important stuff. It sounds like when you reloaded you did not do a clean install. This often leaves some baggage from a previous installation. If the HDD checks clean, I'd try a clean, fresh install, wiping out the previous partition. Maybe even writing all zeroes, if the diags offer that option.

14. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

It doesnt even get to the first screen now it powers on like its attempting to start up but then just turns off without even reaching the first advent logo screen. It looks like its a trip to the repair shop.

15. seshy1994

seshy1994 Thread Starter

I have tried without the cord just the battery i have tried just the cord and no battery and ive tried with both no luck.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!