Advice creating an office network/server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blackstar34

I want to create a standalone server for my small office, there are 10 workstations all connected at from one internet access point through routers and hubs. We currently have all business data on one workstation which everyone accesses through a network folder and printing is handled the same way. Of course this taxes the resources on the particular machine.

Ideally we want to have a standalone machine to handle the office data and printing needs. It would also need some kind of log in prompt as well. Any suggestions for software to use on the standalone machine? Would it be a good idea to have this machine also control the Internet Access Point? And what kind of setup, any switches or routers should I add or configure to the setup? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

You don't mention OS of the 10 workstations I'll assume its windows XP Professional (if any are home you will have to rethink the setup or upgrade the homes to Pro)

I would get an SBS 2003 server and then connect the 10 machines to the SBS server. Then move the print shares and file shares to this server. I would take the printers off the individual PC's and put them on jetdirects making it so no PC "has" to be left running. I would then have it as a domain setup to make it so all logins are centralized and much easier to administer.

As far as internet access you would have to impliment some kind of proxy to centralize that.

Lastly you ask about switches and routers I would assume you already have a router in place with 10 workstations that have internet access so really all you need is to ensure you have enough ports so you may need a switch if you don't have enough ports as it currently stands.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
We had a database issue and a board crash. A lot of duplicates were generated, I've deleted a bunch already today.

blackstar34

Yeah, most of the workstations are XP Pro, the rest are windows 2000 Pro (any problems using windows 2000 with 2003 Server? or should I go for windows 2000 server), sounds like though good suggestions will look into it thank you!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online