1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice for buying Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mel yogi, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mel yogi

Mel yogi Thread Starter

I am looking to buy a laptop, pretty much for basic use (no major gaming, etc) I have been looking at the 2 - 2.8 gHz processor, 256 (prefer 512) RAM 40 Gig HD.
    I have seen a couple of HP/Compaq in that range running about $1000. I am looking for some feedback on brand, reliability, personal reviews, etc.
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

seeing how nobody has replied yet, i think i can kinda handle this.

HP, Dell, Gateway should be okay for your purposes, not a fan of compaq, as are quite a few people.

Sony, IBM, toshiba, are a little bit more respected, but they may cost a litttle bit more than you want.

Alienware is probably one of the best, and may be a bit overated.

I am about to get one, and i was thinking of a low end IBM or a middle gateway. have a few more months to decide.

3. Horowitz

Horowitz

Compaq and Hp are the EXACT same thing. =)

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Consider the processor type.

A mobile processor will produce less heat, a plain "desktop" processor will run very hot, and some low cost laptops use them. Also Intel tend to run cooler than AMD in some cases.

RAM is usually expandable. Video memory or chipset is not upgradeable, processor is usually not upgradeable.

HP/Compaq are fine, and as stated these days are the same as HP own the lot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice