1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice for Gaming Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by X_Gamer7, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X_Gamer7

X_Gamer7 Thread Starter

Well, I have finally decided that it is time to upgrade my computer. With all the new games coming out, I'm trying desperately to keep up with them. Unfortunately, if I want all the eye candy turned up, I usually need to set my resolution to 800x600. I can run 1024x768 with medium graphics. Anyway, I need to know your opinions on what the best upgrade(s) would be for my budget of around $100. Actually, why don't we say the best for $100 and the best for $200 (not sure if I'm willing to kick out 200 right now though :p). Here is my current setup:
    Aluminum Chieftec Dragon Case
    40GB 5400RPM HDD
    160GB 7200RPM HDD
    Thermaltake PurePower 420W PSU
    HP 9100 CDR/RW Drive
    Floppy Drive
    Asus A7N8X Mobo
    2x 256MB Dual Channel RAM @200MHz (2-3-3-7)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 Gamer
    AMD Athlon 2600+ @ 3200+ (Same as regular Athlon 3200+, less heat, cpu multiplier unlocked because Mobile)
    10/100 Ethernet / LAN Card
    Aerocool Deep Impact Heatsink w/ 2 fans attached
    ATI Radeon 9500 w/ L shaped memory

Newegg has some awesome deals on some refurbished items. They have a couple 9800 pros for around $75-$90 that would be in my price range. Anyway, let me know what you guys think! All opinions are appreciated!
    thanks

2. brite750

brite750

yeah, 9800pro 256mb if you can find one in your price, which you may be able to. The other card thats a little better is the 6600GT, that would probably be $150 to $230 range new.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/382514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice