1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice for wifi/router with VPN?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crl, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crl

crl Thread Starter

I am looking into purchasing a replacement wifi/router with vdsl that is capable of running a VPN. There are so many to choose from, any recommendations? Also is it possible to set these VPN routers up so that only certain Lan ports are VPN enabled and some ports remain on the standard network (not VPN enabled)?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think most VPN routers are made for incoming VPN. That is when you are away, you can VPN back to home base to retrieve documents etc.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

There really is no such thing as a VPN router being incoming only or outgoing only. It just depends on the traffic profile you're setting up. If a VPN router/firewall is set up as site to site VPN with another VPN router/firewall, what dictates traffic flow are routing/ACL rules. In my personal situation, I started a project where I have a SonicWall TZ400W at my primary residence and a SonicWall TZ300 at my vacation property. I have the configs for a SuiteB site to site VPN tunnel done. I was able to confirm the tunnel is established on both ends. The only piece I haven't finished yet are the routing rules which set when network traffic gets pushed down the VPN tunnel.

In the situation of a site to site VPN tunnel, either side can initiate the tunnel. There two ways this happens. Either immediately when either side is powered up or when traffic on either side is needed to be pushed down the tunnel. Once the tunnel is up and running, there are timeout and keep alive values you can set to either take down the tunnel if it's idle or to re-establish/keep the tunnel up.

If the VPN router is servicing remote client connections from laptops, mobile phones, etc, then this would be a case where the tunnel request would be inbound.

But to answer the OP's question, yes, you can set physical ports on business class VPN router/firewalls to accept inbound VPN connection requests. But you're asking more from an attached device standpoint. From that point of view, no, you wouldn't enable or disable VPN communications at the port level. You handle it at the routing/access control list level.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice