1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Given} - DSL/Router networking configuration

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hbch, Jun 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hbch

hbch Thread Starter

Reuel,

Do you have any idea on setting up the Linkys Router with 4 port switch (besfr41)? I have followed the directions in the manual but I get nothing, no connection to the internet. The modem is connected to the router and the router is connected to the pc. Although I am using a straight cad 5 cable between modem & router. Use a crossover cable instead between the DSL modem and router? Any comments would be great.

Thanks

2. hbch

hbch Thread Starter

One more thing. I am following the Linksys manual and I have checked thier web site but I am still at step one.

thanks again

3. bobroosth

bobroosth

I have a BEFSR11 in use as I write this and have set up a 41 for a client. In both cases it worked pretty much as I expected. So, tell me more about your DSL provider, including whether or not PPPoE is involved.

The cable from my DSL modem to the WAN port of the Linksys is a straight patch cable.

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

I have no idea. Hardware is not my stong suit. I will bow out, and give bobroosth Centre stage.

Good luck

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

5. hbch

hbch Thread Starter

I have DSL through earthlink but my phone company is GTE and yes on the pppoe. I followed the instructions and they were something like this. power down all the machines and connect the router to the modem then switch on the modem and hold down the reset button for about 3 seconds then turn on the pc that will act as the server. I do this but I get no connection to the net. This is as far as I get with it. The pc acting as the server was setup with the DSL software and it was working fine before powering down everything. I think this to be important because I did read it in the manual for the modem. It states to use a crossover cable to connect to the hub but I used a straight patch cable and it worked fine(I belive it was to the hub anyway. I am going by memory right now).

To eliminate any confusion I am only using the switch at the moment but I will add the 12 port 3Com hub after getting this working.

Thanks

6. bobroosth

bobroosth

Look at page 9 of the router manual. If I remember correctly, it is set up to do DHCP. If so, set all your computers to obtain IP automatically and restart them. They will be given IPs in the same range as the router (192.168.1.xxx). Start a web browser and connect to 192.168.1.1. Default password is admin. Enable PPPoE and enter the username (ELN/yourusername) and your password. Click on Apply, then switch to the Status page and click on connect. You should see Connecting, then Connected.

FYI, Linksys tech support is very good. And the current firmware is 1.30. Get it from their web site.

I am happy to answer more questions.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hbch:
    I have DSL through earthlink but my phone company is GTE and yes on the pppoe. I followed the instructions and they were something like this. power down all the machines and connect the router to the modem then switch on the modem and hold down the reset button for about 3 seconds then turn on the pc that will act as the server. I do this but I get no connection to the net. This is as far as I get with it. The pc acting as the server was setup with the DSL software and it was working fine before powering down everything. I think this to be important because I did read it in the manual for the modem. It states to use a crossover cable to connect to the hub but I used a straight patch cable and it worked fine(I belive it was to the hub anyway. I am going by memory right now).

To eliminate any confusion I am only using the switch at the moment but I will add the 12 port 3Com hub after getting this working.

Thanks

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

7. hbch

hbch Thread Starter

I did read the manual and I set my pc's to obtain an IP address. I am not able to connect to the internet and therefore was not able to move to the next phase of the setup. I probably have a bad router so I will take it back and try another one. Same one just another one just to eliminate the possibility of this one being bad.

I will let you know what the outcome is.

Thank again

8. bobroosth

bobroosth

Did you confirm that the pc's got an IP? winipcfg is the easiest way to check. Were you able to connect to the router?

Is the DSL connection PPPoE. If so, did you verify that you could make a connection with just one computer directly connected to the DSL modem?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hbch:
    I did read the manual and I set my pc's to obtain an IP address. I am not able to connect to the internet and therefore was not able to move to the next phase of the setup. I probably have a bad router so I will take it back and try another one. Same one just another one just to eliminate the possibility of this one being bad.

I will let you know what the outcome is.

Thank again
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

9. hbch

hbch Thread Starter

I can connect to the internet using DSL directly. It is just when I connect my router between the DSL and the pc that I cannot connect to the internet. I will try another router tomorrow. Same one I just think I may have gotten a bad router because I am not getting anything with it.

10. English Guy

English Guy

If you are with earthlink DSL, you are using PPPoE software, like winpoet or total access. In order for you to get your router to work, you must download the PPPoE firmware into the router. You can do this here. http://www.carricksolutions.com/

11. hbch

hbch Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. No wonder the router didn't work.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice