1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Given} - Eventlog message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobroosth, Aug 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

NT4 Workstation SP6. When I boot I get the message: Eventlog Service, The System log file is full.

Which file is this?

2. PikaPikaDude

PikaPikaDude

This is the Event Log used by Event Viewer found in Start/Programs/Administrative Tools.

Open Event Viewer and click on file I think (on a 98 box now and for the life of me I am not certain) and then somewhere you should find options (again it has been a while so look about the place) which you select and you should get a screen that lets you set what errors are logged.

I keep all errors and just clear it as and when it says, which is about every 6 months.

You will need admin rights to tinker with the settings.

PikaPikaDude

[This message has been edited by PikaPikaDude (edited 08-09-2000).]

3. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

I have log size set to 512kb, overwrite events older than 7 day, for all three logs. Doesn't seem to me that I should get this message.

Guess I'll see if it happens again.

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

And if you get 520Kb or messages in 5 days? Then you will see the message.

Either restrict the types of error/warning messages reflected, or clear it out when it gets full. Or, better yet, find out why it is generating the huge number of messages, and clear that problem.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

5. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

I figured out my misunderstanding. I was looking for .log files, but the file in question is a .evt. It filled up four days ago with errors from one SCSI controller, probably when I took a cable loose while the system was up.

I cleared the log in Event Viewer and that should clear the message.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice