1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Given} - How can I run a program on a remote PC, as if I were local?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kwillmot, Jan 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kwillmot

kwillmot Thread Starter

I need to setup my server to run applications remotely. Is Terminal Server all I need to achieve this????

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Which applications? And, do you mean that the client PC will have almost nothing on it except enough to get it onto the network, and then run everything off the network Server?

See... we had this arguement at my old work, where they wanted to run all apps off the servers. So we setup all the apps to run from Application Servers. However, if the network goes down, then suddenly that Word document you have been working on all morning is toast (beacuse your users never save, and the autosave feature makes huge files that are unwieldy).

So, then we put everything local. Well, a new PC came with a 4gig HD... it seemed a waste not to use it. But, then it is a ***** when we had to update Office from SP1 to SP2...

It all depends on the stability of your network, the hardware of your workstations and the size of your organisation. Remember, you can only have a maximum of about 50 odd users (depending on the apps and the capacity of the server, of course, but if one of the apps is M$ office, then this is pretty accurate) per server.

Want to give us more info, so we can give better advice?

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. kwillmot

kwillmot Thread Starter

I only need to run one application, maybe 2. We do programming/customization for several clients. We will have about 3 people doing the work remotely and having the client run the app to test our work.
    I heard that we may need Citrix Metaframe???

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

It seems that any remote control software would work, from Remote Access to Back Orifice 2K [​IMG]

My father is busy working with VNC, which he is pretty happy with.

Remote access, or remote control software applications allow you to connect to a server from a remote location, and work on the server as if you had physical access to the server (and by server, I don't meant a computer running NT Server, its just the PC running the server portion of the remote access software).

Citrix and Terminal Server are software applications that allow you to run remote applications, and have the remote PC do all the computation, but it is not like you are at the remote PC. You are in your own memory space within the Server.

I am not sure this is what you want...

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

5. kwillmot

kwillmot Thread Starter

Thanks...You have been a great help.
    If you could please...respond to my new posted message.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice