1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Given} - Installing second Exchange 5.5 server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by morpheus, Aug 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morpheus

morpheus Thread Starter

I'm installing a second exchange server and just wanted to get something clear. When I add second exchange server to the same site it is suppose to replicate with the first exchange server correct? And how extensive is the replication? Can I bring down the old server for upgrades and still not lose exchange functions? I guess what I asking is the replication good enough to remove the exchange services from the old box and just to run the exchange on the newer box. Trying to stay away from backups if possible because the old box runs other services and needs to remain on the network. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Well, if you want to REMOVE the first Exchange server, then you will have to first move all the mailboxes from the one server to the other, which is not part of the normal replication. What Replication does, is replicate the Directory information, and the public folders (if it has been set to replicate public folders).

There is a way of moving the mailboxes in Exchange, but I am not sure that you can automate the moving of ALL the mailboxes.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. morpheus

morpheus Thread Starter

Thanks once again for the help Reuel!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice