1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Given} Redhat 6.0 and Diamond Viper V770 16MB TNT2 problems...

Discussion in 'Archive: UNIX/Linux' started by computer-aces, Sep 1, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

I am installing Redhat 6.0 on one of my computers. I have a Diamond Viper V770 16 MB TNT2 video card. I can not get it configured correctly. It says it finds the PCI Diamond Viper and I try to go on from there using a generic monitor (15 inch) and it gives the following error: "There was an error detecting the video ram on the card. You should try configuring the video card manually." Does this version of Redhat support this video card? My card is an AGP card, and it detects a PCI. Any help is appreciated.

Cory

------------------
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.angelfire.com/on/computeraces

2. George

George

While perhaps this might not answer your question to a degree, but anyways. My freind rescently purchased a TNT2 based card and he was unable to install redhat6.0 same as you, but with a different error (his screen got all messed up with random characters). So my best bet is that TNT2 is not supported yet seeing as it is rather new.

3. computer-aces

Thanks for the info. I thought that could be it. Is there some kind of way to see if anyone made a driver (or whatever you call it in Linux)?

Thanks,
    Cory

------------------

4. MikeV

MikeV

Aces, you may want to give this a look.

XFree86 3.3.3.1 Video Compatiblity List

The compatibility isn't so much with RedHat, it's with X Windows. Actually, I'm assuming that your problem is with X, since you didn't say so.

Okay, back to the point. You want to make sure it's compatible with X windows, not with RH. You'll find, though, by following the link, that it's not (yet.)

I'd check www.xfree86.org for updates, though. They happen all the time.

Mike

------------------
    Think Different? Think Macintosh?

Think Productive! Think PC!

Think Stable... Think Linux!

5. computer-aces

I found that site too. I looked and my video card is not on there. In my opinion, I think that is the cards that it will detect. I think if I went in and tried to set mine manually it might work. So, I tried that and put it as 8MB or higher video RAM and then I put it on the recommended thing next (I don't know what it was - I am on the same computer running 98SE). Then, I put generic monitor and 16 bit color at 800 X 600. This did not work. Any other suggestions?

------------------

6. MikeV

MikeV

As of the most current stable release of X Windows (3.3.6) the TNT2 is now a supported chipset...

I know this, and the GeForce 256 is also supported (good thing for me!)

If you don't want to upgrade X just yet, you can get the drivers from www.nvidia.com and install them manually. Basically it's a .tar.gz file that you extract, and there's a riva_install script that you run, and it basically overwrites your XF86_SVGA X server. Then you select that in xconfigurator, if that's what it's called in RH, and away you go!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/39552