1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Given} - System Policy Editor [or] "Anyone know the Win 95 System Policy file name

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by soveh, May 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soveh

soveh Thread Starter

I have a network of 38 computers that all run Windows 95 with a Windows NT 4 server with the most recent service pack. I recently reformated all of them and installed Windows 95 fresh. They're all connected to the network and can share resources. They all log on to the network using the same user name and password under the same domain. I want to be able to restrict their ability to enter the control panel and change desktop settings and other things. I tried using the System Policy Editor to create a policy. I added the user name everyone uses to log on by using the browse button and finding the username on the server, then I edited the user and restricted access to various things, but after creating the policy it asked me to save it.

The Save box opened at the C: hard drive level. I saved it on the C: drive, but the policy didn't go into effect. Is there somewhere special where this policy file has to be saved in order for it to take effect? Do I have to be logged of of the server in order to create a policy? Do I have to reboot the server before the changes take effect? Or, instead of adding the username to the System Policy Editor, should I instead add the Group that the user is a part of?

I would appreciate you help greatly!

Soveh

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

If I remember correctly it needs to go into your netlogon directory. You don't need to reboot the server, because the changes are not on the server, they are on the workstations.

Oh - your netlogon directory is probably \winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts. You can double check that in Control Panel, Server, Shares.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech
    (4/29 free $5 added - free computer headset extended to 5/31!):
    http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

[This message has been edited by LarryCore (edited 05-11-2000).]

3. soveh

soveh Thread Starter

Thank you! I will try that tomorrow.

4. gtguy

gtguy

Larry, you are correct about the path but doesn't the file need to be named win95.pol instead of ntconfig.pol? (I am not totally sure of the win95.pol name but I know it is different from the nt filename)

5. soveh

soveh Thread Starter

Okay, I tried saving the system policy file under the path c:\nt2\system32\Repl\import\scripts. I used config1.pol as the file name, and I know the "scripts" folder is shared because it is accessible from the client computer. The NETLOGON also matched the file path above. However, I am STILL able to access the Display panel on the client computer.

I've tried everything. I saved the file as Win95.pol, W95.pol, NTlogin.pol, NT Login.pol, and it still doesn't register. I've set the proper restrictions in the default computer, the default user and the username that everyone uses to log on. Do I have to use File..Connect, then connect to the client computer before it will work? I tried that and it told me that Remote Registry service needed to be enabled on both computers. Is that what I need? Also, do I need to change the policy templates? I opened that option, and saw c:\NT2\INF\WINNT.ADM and c:\NT2\INF\COMMON.ADM. Should those be there? Do I need to make a new one?

Finally, I tried to add the config1.pol file to the startup menu on the client computer but it only loaded the Notepad, and I could STILL get into Display. Are there any other things that I should be doing to make this policy work? After each change I made, I logged off on the client computer, then logged back on to make sure I was doing it fresh, and nothing worked. The previous user mentioned something about needing a specific name for the .pol file for Windows 95, but he didn't know what it was. Any more suggestions? THANK YOU!

6. soveh

soveh Thread Starter

Also, do you think maybe I should create a new post with a title like "Anyone know the Win 95 System Policy file name to use?" Do you think it might reach more people if it had it's own heading, because two different people have suggested that the Win 95 system policy file should have its own special name but no one can remember what it is. Thanks!

7. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

To be honest, I have never had to support Win9x machines so I had no idea what the answer was to this. So, I went to the M$ search engine and plugged in "Policy Editor". Amongst some of the bumph, these pages came up:

<ul>
    <LI> Chapter 8 - System Policies
    <LI> Protecting Users from Themselves (brilliant article)
    <LI> Chapter 15 User Profiles and System Policies
    <LI> Lab 3 - Increased Control of the Desktop
    [/list]

And, from the first page, I copied and pasted this gem of an info nugget:

To set up automatic downloading on Windows NT networks
    <ol>
    <LI>In Control Panel, double-click Network, and then make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks is specified as the Primary Network Logon client and that the domain is defined. For more information, see Chapter 18, "Logon, Browsing, and Resource Sharing."

<LI>Create the policy file to be downloaded, and save it in the following location:
    \\PDC\x$\WINNT\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts\Config.pol (where x = SystemDrive)
    [/list=a]

Important You must create the Config.pol file on a Windows 98 (or Windows 95) computer and then copy it to your Windows NT server in the location specified in the previous procedure. Because of the different registry formats in Windows 98/95 and Windows NT, creating the Config.pol file on the Windows NT server will prevent it from working on your Windows 98 client computers.

Seems rather simple when someone tells you how to do it. Well, I always want to learn something new everyday, and for today, that was it.

I hope it helps you out.

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased [​IMG] )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 05-14-2000).]

8. soveh

soveh Thread Starter

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. The second article is really helpful. I think it will work when I try it on Monday.

Thanks!

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Account Closed

Reuel, a better path is:
    \\PDC\ADMIN$\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts\Config.pol
    that ensures the dir is correct for winnt.
    Also you can have a policy name as anything just make sure its listed in update, and update mode is Manual not automatic.
    In the path type : \\PDC\NETLOGON\POLICYNAME.POL

On my network I have several policies.
    \\PDC\NETLOGON\DEFAULT.POL - default policy
    OFFICE.POL - office policies
    ADMIN.POL - policies on PCs of admin staff
    TECH.POL - thats admins policies (incl. my PCs)

My netlogon dir is D:\NETLOGON which is shares through \\PDC\NETLOGON - readonly access for everyone, and \\PDC\LOGON$ - full for admins.

Hope this helps

------------------
    TechGuy, System Administrator
    Disclaimer: I am not an administrator of this forum. I administer another board.

10. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Yeah, you're probably right. I just cut and pasted that off the M$ website, without actually reading it.

I just assume that you have access to the Server, and will actually be saving the file in c:\Winnt\yadda yadda yadda

Oh well...

Hope it works

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice