1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice Need on System and Cooling for First Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bf825, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bf825

bf825 Thread Starter

So I've made the decision to move from console to PC and currently I am looking at getting one from Hardwired PC's as they are an Australian company my friend has suggested and living in Sydney I wouldn't need to worry about shipping or anything like that.

My budget is around about $2000 AUS dollars for the actual PC not including peripherals (of which i need a keyboard and mouse, and a monitor). I'd use this PC for 3d rendering and gaming meaning that I'd probably be using 95% of my CPU and GPU at times. The custom build I have been thinking about on HardWired PC is their Reaper Junior model and their are a couple questions I've got and I'd really if someone could answer them for me. I'll list the specs, then the questions.

Specs:

Case = Corsair 300r with window

Case Fans = Corsair Airflow Series - SP120 High Performance

CPU Fan = Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Fan Controller = BitFenix Recon Touchscreen fan controller

CPU = Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz Quad Core LGA1150

Motherboard = Asus Z97-K Socket 1150

Memory = Corsair 16GB Vengeance 1866Mhz DDDR3

GPU = Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5

Hard Drive = Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue

Power Supply = Corsair RM750 750W Silent 80 Plus Gold Efficiency

Optical Drive = LG Blue Ray Combo Drive

Audio = Onboard Audio

Wireless Network Card = TP Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless PCIE Adaptor

Operating System = Windows 8.1 64bit

Monitor = Asus VE248H 24 Inch Widescreen Full HD 2ms LED

Total cost = $2429
    I am aware that this is over my original budget however, i am happy with this build as it fulfils everything i want and considering that minus the monitor and possibly the fan controller its only about $200 over.

Questions:

1. The case used by HardWired PC (Corsair 300r) only has two fans - one intake and one rear exhaust. Due to this I have chosen to opt for the SP120 High Performance fans. For this reason I have chosen to get a Fan Controller just so that I can turn down the fan rpm and reduce noise during less demanding tasks. Are these ridiculously noisy and are the necessary, or are the stock fans sufficient for cooling my system?

2. Should I get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cpu fan or is it unnecessary or insufficient?

3. Do I need to (or should I) spend more money on my motherboard or is it good enough as it stands> If so what motherboard should I get?

4. Is the Hard Drive I have chosen a good choice or should I opt for a different one?

5. Any comments on the Wireless network card. I haven't found too much information on it

6. Any thoughts on the monitor, Good or Bad?

So thats it, any help is appreciated as I'm completely new to this and for any other people living in Australia other recommendations for other PC companies in Australia are welcome as well. I Think I've covered everything.Feel free to ask me any more questions. Thanks for any help.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. If you intend to game and or overclock, the stock intel hsf is marginal at best. The coolermaster 212 does a very good job of cooling AND it is not all that expensive.

It is a mid-level board. If you do not intend to overclock, then it should be ok. If you do intend to overclock, I would go with an asus pro board. You get better VRs, better northbridge cooling, etc with the higher end asus boards.

No. The blue drives are low end. If you want a mech hard rather than a ssd, then go with a black series drive OR a raptor drive. Both have dual motor supports and dual processors; much better quality than a blue series drive. Just look at the warranty on each one; blue drive 2yr warranty, black or raptor drive 5yr warranty. That alone should tell you about quality. FWIW I have never had a raptor drive fail [I have had numerous other drives fail]

One other thought. Why do you need a fan controller? An asus board has all of the fan control you need built in to the mb.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Also, have a look at the "hybrid" drives that use SSD-like features, especially for buffer.
    I have a 1TB Seagate hybrid drive and it's a nice trade-off between price and performance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1134992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice