advice needed for installing back up files after installing a new hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yuffy

I've had a few problems with my hard drive & it is being exchanged by the manufactuer. I have backed the hard drive using the back up facility in sytsem tools windows 2000. I have backed it up to another PC I have on a peer to peer network.
My question is this. After formating the new hard drive will I have to install the O/S or just restore the backed up file. I should mention that I did a "back up everything on my computer" back up & I'm unsure if that would back up the O/S as well.
Anyway do i just restore or load the O/S then restore.
Many thanks in anticipation.

crjdriver

I never use the windows backup, so I am not sure. If it runs under windows then some files would be in use and unable to be backed up. I would not expect it to backup the entire os. Most of it yes, however some files would not be backed up since they are in use at the time. It is too late now, however a better method would be to use drive image or ghost. They work independent of the os so all files are backed up.

yuffy

It's not too late, I won't get the replacement till next week.
You were right about some of the files not being backed up.
This is a log of the files skipped

Warning: Unable to open the file \gobackio.bin - skipped.
Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\Administrator.SHUTTLE2\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\Administrator.SHUTTLE2\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51FD001064.FDD in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51SM001064.SM in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\QTC_TEMP.000 in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\QTC_TEMP.001 in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Documents and Settings\All Users.WINNT\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\QTC_TEMP.002 in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\AVApp.log in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\AVError.log in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\AVVirus.log in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \WINNT\Sti_Trace.log in use - skipped.
Warning: The file \WINNT\security\logs\scepol.log in use - skipped.

crjdriver

You cannot expect to backup the os when it is running. That is why you use drive image or ghost. Each will make an image file of your hd, when you get the new drive just restore the image and you are up and running. I prefer drive image to ghost, however that is just me. Both will work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online