1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice needed for Laptop for an I.T. student

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by briansum1, Oct 27, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. briansum1

briansum1 Thread Starter

I have a sister-in-law that is studying I.T. in the Philippines. I want to get her a laptop. I'm not sure what is needed and whats to much. Any help would be great. I have looked at specs but not sure which direction to go since I'm not tech savy. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If that should read
    I am NOT sure what is needed
    and
    I am not sure what is too much

Then until you know what she needs from the laptop and HOW much you are prepared to spend, advice is very difficult
    Additionally - where are you located please as buying a laptop for use in the Phillipines - South East Asia in another continent is not always a good idea

3. briansum1

briansum1 Thread Starter

I don't know what laptop would be acceptable for an I.T. student. I can find specs all day, it doesn't mean it is correct. I'm just asking for specs that someone might need. Is a SSD better or HDD. Is 1.6 ghz good enough or do they need more. Do they need a graphics card? Which is correct?
    Is 256 gig storage enough? How much ram is needed?
    If I had the money I would get the best laptop and that would take care of it. I can spend up to 700$.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are asking a question that does not have an answer; analogous to "How long is a rope"
    Before anyone can give you a recommendation OR answer any question, you need to state what do you want the laptop to do AND what software do you intend on running ie photoshop, autocad, what?

5. britekguy

britekguy

When it comes to the equipment a student needs for a given program (regardless of where in the world that program might be) the best and definitive source is the school itself.

I do not know of a single engineering or computer science (or related IT) program that does not specify the minimum requirements for a computer to be used by a student in said program. Most folks will go above the minimum, but they go to the source to find out what the minimum specs are.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice