advice needed for making game play smoother..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thebigcheeser

Hi,
I have installed a game called "Real War" into my compaq @ 476 mhz and 20GB HD... The full install is 650MB and the game still plays slow sometimes and the actions of the mouse are delayed a good part of the time... I originally only did a minimal install with the comp reading from the CD ROM and that was slow so I figured it would be alot better doing a full 650MB install, but the actions arent much better... Any advice on what to do to make the game play smoother and have faster mouse actions per se???

Thanks.

Hi TBC

I'm not familiar with Real War but it sounds like you might have a resources problem here.

Is this a recent (last year or so) game release? Most of the games releases nowadays tend to be memory hungry and the fact that the mouse is slow and the game runs no better from the CD or from a full install seem to point to a RAM deficiency.

What does the game recommend as a minimum RAM and what is your configuration? Remember that they are trying to sell their games to as many punters as possible so their 'minimum requirements' can be literaly the bare minimum - i.e. with the game using all your resources and assuming you have nothing else running.

Second thought.
Just spoken to a colleague who tells me this is a 3D game recently put on the market and receiving mixed reveiws. He suggests you take a look at:

http://www.gamespot.com

Site also gives patch info and downloads.

What graphics card are you running? Does it have full 3D capabilities and enough on board RAM?

Hope this helps.

thebigcheeser

Hi,

I have checked the requirements... Basically this comp is right in between the min and recommended req's that it calls for... I have 476mhz with 88mb ram, thats what it says about the RAM in the sys info. The game calls for 64MB Ram up to 128MB which is(recommended)... A pentium II with 333mhz or a pentium III with 500 mhz(recommended) ... I have a AMD-K6-3D, would this have anything to do with it??? I know I dont have the complete (recommended) componets but would that make that much difference? Also could you tell me what the equivilent of this AMD-K6 is compared to a Pentium if there is one?

Thanks again.

Hi again.

Yse, you do seem to be trying to run this game on the lower limit of required resources, and that is probably the nub of the problem.

Your K6 processor, which some would say is practically equivalent to a Pentium 466 or even 500 (the arguments here are many) should be up to the task.

You state 88 RAM, which sounds on odd figure to me, as most RAM configurations are in multiples of 8, 16, 32, 64 etc - please don't tell me you have eleven 8 meg simms!
Check under Sys Info again, System Summary - there should be two figures quoted: Total Physical Memory, and the lesser figure Available Physical Memory. I suspect you have quoted the latter but it will be the former that gives your on board capability.

While there, take a look under Components:Display - the first line, Name, should tell you what graphics card you have installed.

As I say, the problem is probably only going to be rectified by an upgrade somewhere. RAM might be the first place to start, and it will certainly be the cheapest, but a graphics card with enough onboard memory of its own is the best bet as this will take on a lot of the work that would otherwise go to your CPU, which would be slower.

Hang fire though and see if anybody else here has an alternate view.

Originally posted by thebigcheeser
Hi,
I have installed a game called "Real War" into my compaq @ 476 mhz and 20GB HD... The full install is 650MB and the game still plays slow sometimes and the actions of the mouse are delayed a good part of the time... I originally only did a minimal install with the comp reading from the CD ROM and that was slow so I figured it would be alot better doing a full 650MB install, but the actions arent much better... Any advice on what to do to make the game play smoother and have faster mouse actions per se???

Thanks.
Just from reading your stats, I might also suggest that your video card and memory need to be upgraded.
I'm no "Gamer" so I don't know what a gamer might actually need. But I am a photographer and I run a CARDeXpert TNT 2 M64 series vid card w/32MB RAm 128 bits Graphics engine, 2D/3D capabilities and a host of other good stuff, including MPEG 1 & 2. Cost? $80 and well worth it.

Memory is so cheap ($15 for 128MB RAM! (TigerDirect.com) that memory should not ever be a reason your computer doesn't just blast along.

Just adding my opinion here. It sounds like more ram and a better video would definitely help. However, running a Compaq, upgrading the video card may not be an option. They are highly customized and you might not have any available slots. As for the 88 megs of memory, that sounds like you have an onboard video card that is taking up some available memory. Most likely, you have 96 total megs of ram with 8 being dedicated to video.

thebigcheeser

@Mike,

Yes Mike I actually DO have 11 simms of 8 megs each... LOL.

Actually Frenat has the right idea, it does show 96 megs of Ram. I suppose the upgrading is a must in order to run a game like this.

I do actually like the idea of $15.00 for 128megs of memory!! Thats a bargain and a half!!

Thank you all, for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online