1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice Needed for Setup and Sync of Home & Office Email

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by clayofco, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayofco

clayofco Thread Starter

Just looking for some advice. Somehow, I've never figured out how to do the email dance between home and office computers. I have always used Outlook on the office desktop computer with POP3, and accessed it remotely from the home laptop, but there has to be a better way now with so much syncing going on. At 62 I'm still trying to get my head in the cloud(s).

I have recently installed MS Office 365 on both computers (Windows 7). The primary email addresses that I use are all from our ministry website URL ([email protected]). I also have Outlook.com accounts I can use, and I like that browser. I also have a couple of Gmail accounts I occasionally use, but I don't like the Gmail browser. I have an iPhone 5 for mobile, but don't really use the mail client yet, and I will probably purchase an iPad at some point. I'm a bit confused about POP3 vs. IMAP vs. Webmail.

I want to be able to coordinate all my email so I can view it on any device, and yet have all my email downloaded to my desktop office computer for fast and easy archive and retrieval purposes. I'm used to using Outlook on my desktop for all email, but I would consider using Outlook.com if that made the most sense, but probably not Gmail.com.

This is probably a whole lot easier than it seems to me right now, but I would appreciate any advice on the best way to do this. Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    imap is designed to allow to sync on multiple devices

where as POP will just download onto one device

http://email.cityu.edu.hk/faq/popimap.htm

heres an article explaining web mail, pop and imap
    http://www.howtogeek.com/99423/email-whats-the-difference-in-pop3-imap-and-exchange/

gmail supports both imap and pop

so set all to imap and then all devices will be able to read all the emails

I dont know what your main email provider is , as i do not know what you mean by
    and so cannot advise if they support imap

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice