1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Advice needed on Blu-Ray rewriter optical drives

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bright0n, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

I am looking to purchase a Blu-Ray rewriter drive for my Windows 10 PC. The purpose is to copy video content that has already been written to a Blu-Ray BD-RE dual layer disc (by another device), onto the PC HDD as a backup.

I am not at all familiar with Blu-Ray optical drive specifications but have seen what appears to be a good Pioneer drive on Amazon (model BDR-209EBK). https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JFVD...olid=255QT3LY9GXQT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I read somewhere on the Internet that I need to make sure the drive will “read Blu-Ray discs at the modern standard of 16x” but the article didn't elaborate why. The Pioneer model above has the following read/write speeds but notably no read speed of 16x:

Maximum Write Speed

16x CAV at BD-R

14x CAV at BD-R DL

8x PCAV at BD-R LTH

8x ZCLV at BD-R TL

6x ZCLV at BD-R QL

2x CLV at BD-RE /-RE DL /-RE TL

Maximum Read

12x CAV at BD-ROM, BD-R

10x CAV at BD-RE

8x CAV at BD-ROM DL, BD-R DL

6x CAV at BD-RE DL

6x CLV at BD-R TL, BD-R QL

4x CLV at BD-RE TL

8x CAV at BD-R LTH

Buffer Memory Size – 4Mbyte

Are these read/write speeds ok? Or should I be looking for something better/faster?

Any help or guidance on what to look out for with Blu-Ray PC drives, would be much appreciated.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm avoiding the equipment and Writing to BluRay ....
    Not worth the time, trouble and expense ... And maybe obsolete soon, if not already.
    The videos I upload to YT are in higher def than a standard Video DVD can hold.

My TV and BluRay player will read USB ... and I don't have to authorize a DVD video.
    I suggest thinking about and trying a USB flash drive before you decide.

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Agree.
    I've thought about this in the past and simply moved on to inexpensive USB flash drives.
    A Blu Ray reader might be nice for a computer, but I already have a player for the TV, and have no interest watching movies on a computer/monitor.
    And my player for the TV reads USB drives and many different formats.
    So, as far as I'm concerned, Blu Ray writers are now obsolete.

edit: IMO, my data is more secure backed up on a hard drive than optical media.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    FYI ... Any data you don't mind loosing .... Is any data you only have one copy of.

The last (and only wedding) I volunteered to Video for a Friend ...
    They got 2 flash drives of the edited wedding in HD, That also including a video slide show of all the stills.
    And one Flash Drive of all the video and stills, from all cameras that were running.

They didn't expect all this ... Just an obsolete DVD that was also included.
    The new Hubby knew what to do with the flash drives.
    Makes me wonder what the pros are doing noways ????

Anyway .... This and This is what I ordered to replenish my stock.
    I'm still looking for better prices for the good/fast USB flash.

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Nice buy.

I bought up a number of the 16gb 2.0 sandisk Cruser Glides last year when Best Buy had them on sale for $4.99.
    I don't use them for backup so much as transfer and speed isn't an issue for me, but it would be nicer LOL!

At home, I prefer to back up to usb hard drives but I do store encrypted copies of my financial data on flash drives, at my bank and in my truck.
    And you are correct. One copy isn't enough for important data (y)

Edit: BYW, I'm posting from Puppy Linux, booted from a Kanguru 8gb flash drive with a 'write' switch :D ( no hard drives involved )

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    The Ultra Flairs is what I'm replacing my Cruisers with.
    This time I figured a little more for the speed is worth it, Most of my videos are huge.
    My 32 and 64 Gig Flairs are nice when the files are big.
    Had to get a new color for the lanyard for the 16gigs :D

We maybe a little side tracked here .... I have some advice if you go DVD
    Only use the Verbatim Brand .... You'll have to order them.
    Do you plan on printing on them ?

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  8. bright0n

bright0n Thread Starter

The Panasonic personal video recorder (connected up to my TV in the living room) only has the function of writing to Blu-Ray and DVD disks. I desperately want to back up a large part of the HDD as it is heavily used and is getting old now. The HDD cannot be removed and copied unfortunately. Panasonic have done a good job of preventing users from doing this! HDD content cannot be copied to USB either.

As you can see, my backup options are somewhat limited! So this brings me back to my question of Blu-Ray drive specifications.

Thanks Oddba11. I'll take a look at the Pioneer model you suggested.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

I have heard several people on this site knocking the reliability of USB flash drives for back up, I my case I have never had one fail on me in 15 years. They may have been talking about writing an rewriting a lot to one. I have a 256MB 15 years old that still works. I guess everyone has an opinion on them. Oh, I guess I will have to buy me a blue-ray burner before they become extinct like VCR's.

10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The issues noted above concerning the removal of content, are imposed on the maker for copy protection.

The easiest method to remove or keep content in most cases is to get another recorder or use a computer for capturing. Then simply play back the material on the source device and record/capture the material on the second device/computer. Some will allow material to be copied onto disc, but that doesn't always work depending on the content, and sometimes that material is then only playable on the source device (ie: the same device which burned the disc).

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

Bought the Pioneer BDR-209DBK with out the software and had a heck of a time getting VLC to play a Blu-ray. Had to download two files and manually create a folder for one and put the other in the VLC folder, then install Java so the menus would work right. I have Nero 12 (supposed to work with Blu-ray) but it said I need to update and the link it tried to go to was bad.

12. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    VLC doesn't officially support BluRay. It has hacks, as you noted, which will work on some discs (usually older discs). Most new content will not play. If you want BluRay playback on a PC, PowerDVD or WinDVD are the best options (not free, and use the current versions).

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

I bought "Clash of the Titans" to test with and got it to work with VLC. Looking into getting Power DVD.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice