1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - Blue Screen on boot up (Missing or corrupt DLL file)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zoewang, Apr 18, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoewang

zoewang Thread Starter

Hello:

My laptop was working fine last night, then this morning it will not boot up.

I get the following message:

STOP: c0000135 {Unable to Locate DLL}
    The dynamic link library winsrv could not be found in the specified path Default Load Path.
    Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete, contact your system administrator or technical support group.

I have tried to reboot several times and get the same message. I have a Compaq Amanda 7800, Windows NT 4.0 build 1381, service pack 4, and 128 MB of memory.

I don't have a Windows NT set up disk, or a boot disk.

HELP!!!

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Ok... I probably do not have good news for you.

Are your NT system files on a FAT partition? If so, then you can boot of a DOS6.11 boot disk (The one I have set up is available here) and expand the file off your NT CD and write it to your HD, as it is likely to be corrupt.

If the partition is formatted with NTFS, you have a much more harder task. You have the following options:

a) Format the HD and re-install NT. If you have important data that you need to save off the HD, then you can use NTFSdos from Sysinternals.com (which is supplied on my boot disk) to read the NTFS drive and extract the data.

b) Buy a Read/WRITE version of NTFSdos and use it to expand the DLL off your CD and write it to the HD as per the FAT16 instructions (PS. If you decide on this choice, I would LOVE to have a copy of the Read/WRITE version of NTFSdos, or better yet ERD {Emergency Repair Disk} Commander)

c) Install a second copy of Winnt into a different directory on the same HD. Then expand the DLL off your CD and write it to the HD in the old NT directory. You will probably have to edit your boot.ini file to include the old NT version.

Let's assume the boot.ini file looked like this (I have used my Win2K boot.ini file, which only has ONE line for the NT OS to start. In NT4 there are 2 lines; keep both lines intact):

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation"

After the installation of the NEW version of NT, it might then look something like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT_NEW
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT_NEW="Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation"

You would then need to edit it to look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT_NEW
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT_NEW="NT 4 new version"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="NT4 old (broken) version"

Once you have fixed the problem, you can log into the "old (broken) version" (hopefully now fixed) delete the WINNT_NEW directory and edit the boot.ini file so that it looks, once again, like the first example.

The expand program (found in the i386 directory on your NT cd) is run from a command prompt and works like this:

expand -r {cd path to i386 directory}\winsrv.dl_ {path where the file can be written to; either HD or floppy disk}\winsrv.dll

The -r switch allows the file to be re-written.

If this does get you back into your NT installation, you MUST re-run the last service pack.

Hope this helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased [​IMG] )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 04-18-2000).]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/28558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice