Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

{Advice Offered} - don't want personalized settings

815 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Reuel Miller 
#1 ·
Here's another one of those silly questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.
I have Windows 2000 at home just to play with. I made a bunch of changes when logged on as Administrator like shortcuts, colors, desktop settings, mouse settings, Internet settings, etc. When I log on as another User, all those settings are gone. I don't want to redo all of that and I know there's a way to either disable the option to have different settings per User or to copy the settings to the other User but I'm blind and can't figure it out!

Addition:
I found the "Copy to" option on the User Profiles tab in System Properties but that must not contain all the settings unless I did it incorrectly. I copied the Administrator's and set it to allow the User to use it and logged on as the User. The icons on the desktop looked correct but it didn't look like any other settings transferred like the background, quick launch icons, ability to single click instead of double, Internet settings, etc.
I would like everyone's settings to be the same without a hassle. I'm sure it's clear as day somewhere!

Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by angel (edited 10-21-2000).]

See less See more
#2 ·
Greetings

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do this. NT is specially designed so that each user can have totally different settings to another, and not interfere with other users.

The one way to keep the icons shared between users is to have the icons stored in the ALL USERS profile's Start Menu and Desktop directories.

As for keeping the colours the same (this might work): Create the colour scheme you want use, with colours, fonts, iszes, etc. Then save this scheme with your own name. Then, when you log in with a different user, change the scheme to your own scheme, to restore your colours etc. (BTW, I tend to make changes to my personal profile, and leave the Administrator account plain... so that I can see the difference when I am logged in with my own account, or the Admin account).

As far as sharing Favourites etc, you will need to install TweakUI and create specific folders for your shared favourites, and use the TweakUI utility to change the default location to the directory that you have chosen, for each account.

Hope this helps

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

rmiller@xperts.co.za

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.