1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Advice Offered} - dual boot Windows 98 & Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angel, Sep 23, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angel

angel Thread Starter

First, I would like to start off saying that I have skimmed Reuel's website and printed the pages for reading. I have downloaded Reuel's Boot Disk, have a Windows 98 startup disk (several, actually), and have backed up all data to zip disks.

I am currently running Windows 98 and would like to install Windows 2000 for dual boot situation. Reuel's instructions seem very complete but I just want to be very careful to do everything correctly.

I have 2 drives:
    Drive 1 = 3GB
    Drive 2 = 6GB
    Neither are partitioned at this moment. Would it be wise to partition Drive 2 into two 3GB partitions (one NTFS and one FAT32) or some other combination.
    I would like to keep Windows 98 on drive 1 (though I will be formatting and installing from scratch) unless someone advises against it.

I guess what I'm looking for are suggestions. I don't want step by step procedures for completing this task - just something to get my mind on its way.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

[I'm sorry, I just realized this probably should have been posted under Operating Systems. Oops! Feel free to move this post if you like.]

[This message has been edited by angel (edited 09-23-2000).]

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Nah, it's cool to post it here. That way I get to see it, and I can give you advice.

Partition Disk 2 into 2 Gig NTFS/FAT32 and 4 Gig FAT32. This gives you a 4 Gig DATA drive that can be shared between Win98 and Win2000. Now, you just need to figure out which OS you will be using the most. This is the OS you will want to install onto Disk 1. The OS you will not be using a lot will go onto the first patition on Disk2.

So... let's assume that Win98 will be your main OS, and you are going to play with Win2K.

1) Format Drive 1 with FAT32
    2) Partition Drive 2 as 2 Gig NTFS, 4 Gig FAT32
    3) Install Win98 to c:\windows
    4) Install Win2K to NTFS drive

If, however, you decide that your main OS will be Win2K and Win98 is only there for games etc (I recommend this), then this is what you are going to do:

1) Partition Disk1 into a small FAT16 partition (this partition must be the Active partition); the rest of the Drive format with NTFS
    2) Partition Disk2 into a 2 Gig FAT32 drive and a 4 gig FAT32 drive.
    3) Install Win98 to D:\windows
    4) Install Win2K to the NTFS drive

The reason you want you most used OS on Disk1 is merely because that is the OS that needs the most space.

I hope that helps

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

3. angel

angel Thread Starter

Thanks, Reuel! I think I'll go with your first option to have Windows 98 on the first disk and Windows 2000 on the second disk, first partition.

I just have a couple more questions I thought of. Does Windows 2000 have a prob with USB devices? I know Windows NT did. Not too important - just curious.

Also, for some reason your Part 8: Configuring NT's boot menu won't load for me. All I get is the title. Same thing when I downloaded the printer friendly version. I may have missed this info elsewhere on you site and I apologize if so. Once I have Windows 98 and Windows 2000 installed, where do I configure the option to let me choose my OS on boot? I'm sorry if that sounds simple but I've never setup a dual boot before.

Thanks!

4. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Clear your Internet Cache and try again. Both the page and the file are there.

You do not actually need to do anything to make it a dual boot system.... just install Win98 and then install Win2K. Win2K will automatically setup it's Boot.ini to let you boot into Win98.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller

[email protected]

5. angel

angel Thread Starter

Thanks so much Reuel! I have them both installed now (hit a few bumps with Windows 98 [darn modem!])
    I do have one problem, though. I have no mouse (no pointer, nothing) in Windows 2000. It's not even listed in Device Manager. I can get around without one but I would really prefer to have it! Any suggestions?!

[This message has been edited by angel (edited 09-23-2000).]

6. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

What type of mouse and what type of modem do you have? The problems might be related.

See, if the mouse is a serial mouse, and the modem is a serial modem, they might be wanting to use the same IRQ. In Win98, it means mouse but no modem. In Win2K it might mean modem but no mouse.

Have you tried using a PS2 mouse (the connector for the back of your PC is a little circular connector, not a large parrallelogram connector)?

Have you tried using the Add/Remove Hardware wizard to manually add your mouse?

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller

[email protected]

7. angel

angel Thread Starter

I have a ps/2 mouse - just your standard Microsoft wheel mouse. Everything is working correctly in Windows 98 (including the modem). I tried to add the mouse in Windows 2000 but it doesn't detect it. I was going to add it manually but can't even find "mouse" as an option in the list of hardware.

[This message has been edited by angel (edited 09-24-2000).]

8. angel

angel Thread Starter

any suggestions?

9. angel

angel Thread Starter

Actually, since this is really a different problem from my original post, I will start a new post.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/29164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice